• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stormblade
    Video Editing Newbie
    • Jan 2002

File Sizes on DivX conversions

Hey all,

Got a question for ya. I converted a Quicktime movie file to DivX 5.0.1. Now first thing I did was use TMPGEnc along with the Qt Plugin to convert it to mpg. I noticed that the file size was waay more than the original. Original was 13 megs and the mpg TMPGenc put out was 63 megs or so.

So I figure will once I get it in Virtual Dub and convert to DivX 5.0.1 it should be better....Nope that didn't happen. I never got it anywhere close to the 13 megs of the original. Is it my settings?

Just now I tried converting a .asf file to DivX using Virtual Dub 1.4 with asf support. It went from a 2 meg .asf file to a 7 meg DivX file.

What should I do? I'm still a newbie but I'm getting better. Do I need to play around with the bitrate? Maybe get that bitrate calculator I keep hearing about? Will this help me with getting the filesize down while keeping the quality at least as good as the original or so close its not noticeable?
    My Awesome Computer System called Midnight
    The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it.
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

this is normal.

MPEG, DIVX, QT have all different "methods" or "properties" or "rules". U cannot expect to reduce the file size from xMB to yMB.

use nandub if u want, u can specify the final file size but be warned:

there will be quality loss.

but my method:

convert the file to MPEG2 using TMPGENC
    load vidomi (www.vidomi.com)
    load the MPEG2 video
    use the fast motion codec
    use thse settings:

75crisp
    10 k/f
    6000 bitrate
    and encode

u should notice less file size and quality will be good. (depending on the source!)

Techno

Comment

• Stormblade
      Video Editing Newbie
      • Jan 2002

Thanks for the reply.

I've never used Vidomi but I downloaded and installed it. I loaded up an AVI that I'd made from 3 .mov files in Premiere and all Vidomi did was crash repeatedly.
      The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

do this:

TMPGENC:

QT mov > MPEG2.

then load this MPEG2 file in vidomi and encode.

if it still crashes, email me and i will send u the first nice release of vidomi since that version is more reliable

Techno

Comment

• Stormblade
          Video Editing Newbie
          • Jan 2002

The mpg that TMPGEnc produced wouldn't even load in Vidomi. But that's ok. What I did was play around with the bitrate. The quality of that Quicktime movies wasn't all that great. I decreased the bitrate down to 200 and not much difference quality decrease. I may increase this slightly but the file size is 17 megs. Just a 4 meg increase over the original which is very acceptable.

And that's just the mpg. I will re-encode and see if it gets even smaller.

Comment

Working...