Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapCount
    • Dec 2005

HDTV > XviD encoding in Australia? x2

The following posts are acceptable, and should be posted in their respective forums (eg. DivX - Encoding) :

If you only mention a video file (eg. "I downloaded an AVI file from Kazza" or "I downloaded a movie file from Kazza").

If you don't mention you got the movie from a P2P source (eg. "I have downloaded a movie" or "I have a movie and I want to burn it as a VCD")
    Now I got that out of the way! Heres my question:

Would I benefit if I encode from a HD stream or just use the SD transmission? I'm asking because after watching a few dvix encoded tv episodes, (cant get me with rule 6 this time!!! i dont even think i breached it in my last post either..) some are encoded from HD, so I gave it a shot and recorded The West Wing in HD on the ABC here in Australia.

The issue I now have is using the same file size to do SD episode, (399mb) I usually get around 1100-1260 bitrate, with the HD episode I now get 900-1100bitrate. Same resolution and file size but now get a lower bitrate. And using DGIndex, it shows that the fps is @ 50 and it shows that its an NTSC stream and not PAL!!

I've done one test with xvid, and the quality seems ok but it doesn’t seem as smooth when you play it back on a DviX capable DVD palyer. Could it have something to do with MeGUI lowing it to 30FPS? Would it be smoother if it was @ 25FPS?

I was thinking of recording more streams in HD, but i think every station has a different way of broadcasting. ABC has one resolution, Ch9 has another etc... and this could give me more problems...
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Would I benefit if I encode from a HD stream or just use the SD transmission?
    that depends; if your output resolution is SD, then there's no benefit. in this case (The West Wing), ABC HD is broadcast at 720p, but its an upconvert, so there's no benefit either way. AFAIK the only show that's consistently in HD on ABC is Planet Earth, tonight 7:30 pm.

I usually get around 1100-1260 bitrate, with the HD episode I now get 900-1100bitrate
    likey due to different lengths

Could it have something to do with MeGUI lowing it to 30FPS?
    does it look OK on the PC? if so, probably because the file specs are different to what your player supports. what's the output resolution? in any case the framerate really should be 25fps. remove any lines related to decimation/framerate (or just post your script) and add selecteven()

edit: looks like West Wing is infact HD. if you're encoding for PC playback and don't mind a larger file size, keep it HD.
    Last edited by anonymez; 11 Feb 2007, 08:16 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• SnapCount
      • Dec 2005

Thx for the info anonymez.

When you play it back on the PC, its almost the same as if you were watching it on the player, you can just sense there is choppiness.

The resolution I render is 672x368. So I guess that im not really getting any extra quality using HDTV then?

I tried to change the FPS when using the bitrate calculator in MeGUI, using a shorter length video from the same stream, but the quality was horrendous with the video being consistantly choppy.

This is what MeGUI decided for me which equals 30FPS from a 50FPS source.

Im doing the encodes of the West Wing so that I can watch it on the TV until Australia gets the last 2 seasons on DVD.

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

The question is whether you have the rights to copyrighted material - even recording from a TV.

You buy a DVD - you have a license to play it, whenever, wherever. But recording a copyrighted TV show is not.

Please be careful about our forum rules. They are there for a good reason.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• SnapCount
          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by blutach
          The question is whether you have the rights to copyrighted material - even recording from a TV.
          No one does, except for the studios.

But people still ask for help to rip dvds, and the threads dont get locked. You might own the DVD but you are not allowed under any circumstance to copy or rip from them. Look at the end credits or at the very beginning of the dvd about copying. Asking to rip ANY dvd should be locked. There is a reason why they put protection on the discs in the first place.
          Last edited by SnapCount; 12 Feb 2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• SnapCount
            • Dec 2005

All I want to do is to get some help on encoding HDTV streams. So that I can enjoy watching the shows I like again and again for my own personal use without the quality degrading over time like using tape. Just like what people do with VCR's - they tape what they like so that they can watch it again in the future.

Is that a crime.. I dont think so.

Comment

• blutach
              Not a god of digital video
              • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by SnapCount
              No one does, except for the studios.

But people still ask for help to rip dvds, and the threads dont get locked. You might own the DVD but you are not allowed under any circumstance to copy or rip from them. Look at the end credits or at the very beginning of the dvd about copying. Asking to rip ANY dvd should be locked. There is a reason why they put protection on the discs in the first place.
              The laws regarding copying DVDs are different in many countries. We do not profess to be lawyers. And we ask you not to make legal pronouncements either (unless you are a senior IP lawyer, that is).

I urge you to frame your questions generically and not to talk about copying copyrighted content for your own use and benefit (eg The West Wing). Please respect our rules.

You will also please allow my co-mods and I to be the arbiters of what posts breach forum rules and what do not.

If you wish to discuss this further, a PM exchange may be more appropriate instead of arguing with me here.

Regards
              Last edited by blutach; 12 Feb 2007, 08:37 PM.
              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• SnapCount
                • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by blutach
                (unless you are a senior IP lawyer, that is).

I am.... j/k

Comment

Working...