• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hello people
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2005

Widescreen view on PC but not on TV

Anyone know why a DVD I made comes out widescreen on my PC but on my TV it plays in the squished, squashed view? My TV is just a regular TV. Any other conversion I have done plays widescreen on my TV and PC.

thanks
    music
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

a DVD I made
    outline the procedure, applications used, etc
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• hello people
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Apr 2005

Well I had this DVD and I ripped it to my PC but took out all the SF and what not. I converted it divx and planned to transfer it to my laptop to take on holiday. Anyway, that was weeks ago. Today I realise that my original DVD has gone walkabout so I use WinAVI Converter to convert it to DVD so I can burn it to DVD. Now, the original file is in widescreen view. But having converted it I go to DVD Decrypter to burn it but when I play the DVD on my normal DVD player and normal TV (which has no aspect ratio options) the image appears squashed. I assume it's playing in 4:3 or something. Yet when I play the same DVD on my computer, it plays in the widescreen ratio (I assume 16:9). The edges are not cut off and the image is not squashed on my PC.

Anyhoo, I've done this a few times over the years and have always had it play widescreen on my TV. This time, no. Weird.

thanks for your reply anyway

WinAVI Converter
      music

Comment

• Merick
        • Jan 2004

When you say it plays as widescreen on your pc, I'm assuming you mean the letterbox widescreen format? For some video files, the black borders on the top and bottom are a part of video data in the file. Without those borders, a widescreen video will still show up normally on your pc because the video player (or most good video players) will automatically add the black borders when in fullscreen mode, or in windowed mode will make the window the correct size for the aspect ratio. since your dvd player/tv setup has no aspect ratio controls, the picture will be stretched/distorted to fill the whole screen. I haven't used winavi, but you should check to see if it has an option to add the black top/bottom borders to the video before burning it.

Comment

• hello people
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Apr 2005

Thanks, yeah it's letterbox
          music

Comment

Working...