Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evolved77
    • Aug 2007

AVI (DIVX) to WMV (X360 compatible) - problems

Hi all. New to group and needing some help, relating to the AVI to (Xbox 360 compatible) WMV Conversion Guide - http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html

downloaded the KLite Mega Codec Pack, together with latest Window Media Player and Windows Media Encoder.

during the installation for the KLite Mega Codec Pack, i do not have the "Decode the following video formats with ffdshow" section? instead there are just some options under "ffdshow configuration"

with this in mind, i have tried to follow the guide with all the other settings.

once i have finished encoding a movie file (800mb and 2 hours long), the .wmv is only 2 seconds long? - (WME is setup to encode until the end of the input file)

i have repeated the process a couple of times and this keeps happening. being a newbie, i just know im doing something daft...

ive got some great movies that im looking to play through my xbox 360 on my new swanky samsung hdtv....please help!!

cheers
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

you may need to uninstall all your existing codec packs and codecs and use K-Lite Mega Codecs Pack. This includes, but is not limited to, DivX, XviD, any codec pack, ffdshow ... everything. Don't worry about messing up playback, because the next step is to download and install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.
    did you do this at first?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

K-Lite codec's install has been updated, so I'll have to update the guide as well. What you need to do is on the first install screen (the "Select Components" screen), make sure both DivX, XviD are using "ffdshow" instead of the native DivX/XviD decoders (this is equivalent to the "Decode the following video formats with ffdshow" section in the guide).
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• evolved77
        • Aug 2007

AVI (DIVX) to WMV (X360 compatible) - problems

Originally Posted by Chewy
        did you do this at first?

thanks for posts...

yes, chewy, when installing KLite Mega Pack, all my other codecs were removed... i have not had a problem with playback of the DIVX on WME...

and tried the other method suggesting by Admin, this seemed to work as FFDSHOW is now operating in my system tray

tried again with the FFDSHOW options as recomended, however, i still seem to be encountering the initial big problem of the final .wmv clip only 2 seconds long and 21kb in size... even though when i encode it takes 20-25 mins and runs through the whole film

again, WME is set to run until the end of the input clip, and the .wmv clip does seem to play ok, just very very short!!

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Have you tried to convert some other format to WMV, like MPG or another WMV file? This can test if it's a problem with WME, or a problem with the Directshow input (through ffdshow).

Which version of Windows Media Player are you using?

Comment

• evolved77
            • Aug 2007

Re:

Originally Posted by admin
            Have you tried to convert some other format to WMV, like MPG or another WMV file? This can test if it's a problem with WME, or a problem with the Directshow input (through ffdshow).

Which version of Windows Media Player are you using?

Success... Tried to encode a smaller .avi file. This has worked and is playing perfectly on Xbox360. This time I used a bitrate calculator as the only way I could have been going wrong was the bitrate calculation...I think!?

only thing i was not sure about was the size of the output file, so left this the same as the input file. encoding took 4x the length of clip though?

i will now try to encode a larger movie file, using the bit rate calculator and post back with the results.... thanks for your help!

Comment

• evolved77
              • Aug 2007

...by the way, I am using the latest WMP, version 11.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Don't forget to enter the "K" or "M" after the actual bitrate number, for example "1024K" and not just "1024". 1024 Kbps, is equivalent to 128 KB/s => 0.125 MB/s, or around 900 MB for a 2 hour film. Use this as a guide when choosing the bitrate.

Comment

• evolved77
                  • Aug 2007

yeap, had been making sure the K and Ms were in the right place...

just out of interest, a 800mb, 2 hour clip... how long should it take?

as ive got one in the oven at the moment ..and its very very slow...

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Depends on your computer specs, but 4 times the actual length of the video is not very uncommon.

If you don't want the wait, and don't mind a bit of quality loss/skipping, you can try the TVersity transcoding method of playing back DivX/XviD on the Xbox 360 - TVersity will actually convert DivX/XviD to WMV in realtime while it is streamed to the Xbox 360 (of course, you'll need to connect your computer to the Xbox 360 and both needs to be turned on):

This guide shows you how to stream DivX and XviD movies (as well as share photos and audio files) to your Xbox 360 using TVersity or Windows Media Player

Comment

Working...