X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malus
    • May 2002

Problems encoding

hi,

im new here and i was wondering if u guys could help me out with something. I just started trying to encode DVD's to DivX as now i finally have a bnig enough HD. I use DVD decrypter to rip them, then Flask to encode and Virtual dub to solve any syncing problems. im using dixv 5.01 to encode it and every time i encodea movie it seems to jump every so often.

I think its the max keyframe interval which i have set at 10, because it jumps on a very methodical basis (every so often as if id be able to time it). I was wondering at all also if it mite have anythign to do with the scene change threshold.

Advanced thankyous, Malus
    "Better to live one day as a tiger, than a thousand years as a sheep."
  • rolonzos
    • Jan 2002

Screen pans jerky?

I've ran into issues where the movies jumps every so often after encoding often.

The solutions I've ran into:
    1. Try encoding the movie at different frame rates. Usually 29.whatever is fine, but I've sometimes had to use 30fps or even 24fps. Most tutorials will tell you to use 23.whatever frames per a second, which do usually work just fine.

2. Try increasing the bitrate. It'll jump when the screen pans from left to right or vice versa if the bitrate is too low for the action of the camera. (Likewise, you could try resizing the picture to be a smaller width and height instead of changing the bitrate.)

3. This might help and might not, but using DivX 5 for encoding, I usually set my Max Keyframe interval to 200 frames and Scene Change Threshold to 45%

DivX 5 has those Psychovisual Enhancements, but I've not yet tried them. They might help your situtation out.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Upgrade to divx5.0.2, and use a higher keyframe interval, 10 is much too low. The Default is 300 which works quite well. Using 50 might improve seek speed slightly on slow system, but unless this is problem for you, I would recommned using the default.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...