X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luder
    • Jun 2002

Problems converting MPEG-2 to DIVX 5.0.2

Hello!

I use Pinnacle Studio 7 to capture and edit my movies.

I made a long (20 minutes) movie for a school project and passed it to VHS tape, SVCD and now I want to encode it on divx.

Unfortunately, I couldn't encode directly from Studio because I always get an error message, so it seems it is not divx compatible, at least with ver. 5.x. I had some other problems with other codecs and I gived up from encondig directly do AVI file.

To solve the problem, I tried to encode the movie on MPEG-2 DVD compatible file (720x576, 6000 kbs,...), and the I though about converting to Divx.

Everything ok till here. I tried the last version of flaskmpeg, cause Virtualdub is not MPEG-2 compatible.

First, I tried to convert to an avi file whithout any kind of audio/video compression but an error message didn't allowed me to do so. I tried with divx 5.0.2 codec, in OpenDML AVI Output format but it didn't worked. I could only cconvert the file in AVI output format.

About the divx settings, I used this: 2-pass mode, 3500 kbs, Quartel Pixel, GMC, Bidirectional encondig, psychovisual enhancementes (normal), pre-processing source (normal), All frames are interlaced (top field first), and the default advanced parameters settings.

After some hours the compression ended. I tied the new file I just encoded and... the video stream was a lot slower than the original file. I checked the MPEG-2 file and it was very fluid, as it should be. What can be the problem?

I'm not sure if I'm using correctly 2-pass mode. On the second pass, should the file created by 1st pass be overwritted? I did so.

Thanks for your time.
  • Erci
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Nov 2001

I believe that there's a guide on www.doom9.org but here's a short description.

Open the mpeg2 file in dvd2avi and create a d2v file. Make a avi synth or vfapi file out of it. Open it in nandub/virtualdub dependicg of the codec and encode as always using one of thoose two programs.

//Erci
    DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

frameserving your input stream into virtualdub should be possible.

dvd2avi => gordianknot => avisynth=> virtualdub/divx5

for more take a look at my guide:

Comment

Working...