• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

Quality isn't there

I used to be so good at this a few years ago, now... since I dont engage much in video encoding, things have changed!

I have an HD camcorder, quality is awesome. I am able to get the MPEG2 video (With AC3) from the cam, thats all ok

what I want to do now is encode the video to DIVX.

The video has like an interlace? on the frames (you can see the black lines kinda... if that makes sense)

applying the de-interlacing and blending it seems to be better quality but there are still some "annoyances" there.

anyway, I have tried using DIVX 3.11a to encode my video but that just does not seem to work for some reason, gives me alot of garbage and jibberish colours/squares across the screen!

so using the latest DIVX, not only is the file size big (around 650MB, video only, 640x480 res for a 40 min video) but also quality isnt as crisp and sharp as say, DVD ripped movies or even from the HD cam.

so, what tips/advices/guides can you give me to get the best quality from the HD MPEG2 video I have from my camcorder?

Thanks!
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

What wrong with taking you output mpeg2 with AC-3 audio and burn it to a disk and play it on a upscale DVD player at 1080P?

Also, if you HD camcorder will output TS files, why don't you build a Blu-ray structure from TS files to M2TS files, to Blu-ray structure and burn to any blank disk also at 1080P.

Last edited by ed klein; 6 Feb 2009, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

because I am not going to host a 3GB files on my server.....

and I want it in DIVX format also.

The other thing I dont get is that I get black bars (really big, around 2 inches on each side) after encoding - no idea why

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

You could try slicing off a piece and feeding it to AutoGK to see how it comes out.

Another free tool you can check out is AviDemux. It has cropping filters for removing black bars and is easy to use.

Here's the doc page for it:

Last edited by MilesAhead; 6 Feb 2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

could be anyone of these....

check ur profiles u r using to create divx

ok now if ur source video is multi channel and ur encoding it with say latest divx creator u will get multichannel sound, that will double ur file size, say if 700 mb file is off good quality then 700 mb with multi channel will be crap u need 1.4 gb to get same quality.

try some non free tools with trial to see wjhat u get like tnpgenc, divx creator for a test.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...