X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKiNFreak
    • Jun 2002

DivX encoding problems - no audio!

Hello!

I have just encoded (overnight) a DVD followign the guide on the website using Xmpeg and DVD Decryptor. I went to load the file into Windows media player and got no sound! How come? I couldn't select mp3 from the encoding options so I chose uncompressed PCM. I followed the Xmpeg guide to the letter and the only thing i didn't see there was audio mode and I left htis at Decode Audio setting.

Help! I already tried Flask but the quality and synch were out. The quality seems great for Xmpeg but where that pesky osund got to?

Regards,

Skinfreak
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I don't know much about XMpeg, but knowing that it's a Flask derivative, I could say the following. Check that the program processes the audio.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

flask has always been known for its lousy mp3 handling.

extract and encode sound seperately and finally mux video and mp3.

for more infos on sound and muxing take a look at my guide.

Comment

• SKiNFreak
        • Jun 2002

best prog?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

why dont you take a look at the guide???

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Audio extraction to .wav : Graphedit or Vob2audio
            .wav to MP3 : Any MP3-capable encoders, such as Musicmatch or LAME
            Audio muxing : nandub

There you go.

Comment

• SKiNFreak
              • Jun 2002

OK...just tried Vstrip to get the ac3 file and then combine that in VirtualDub...still no sound. EH?

Dunno what to try. I think I'm gonna use the Gordian Knot package to start all over again....I pray it'll work!

SF

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Use nandub to combine AC3 sound stream with the AVI file.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

then combine that in VirtualDub
                  so much for reading postings here or guides

nandub has been mentioned by enchanter and in my guide you wont find anything else apart from nandub for muxing.

Comment

• SKiNFreak
                    • Jun 2002

Something must have been wrong somewhere...I am now reencoding with GK. How much extra space does muxing the AC3 file directly to the avi take over encoding to mp3? I am just storing the movies on my hard disk and not burning to CD...I want to essentially be able to play back the DVD completely the same quality on my disk but obviously save on a gigabyte or 5!

Cheers

John

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

If you want to know, chec the file size of both the AC3 and AVI files. If you want to keep DVD quality, a minimum of 2 CDs is required. However, given that you are using AC3 for the sound stream, you may need to go up to 3 CDs size (1.95 - 2.10 GB). The AVI should be sized around 1.0 - 1.2 GB.

Comment

• SKiNFreak
                        • Jun 2002

GK didn't work either. This time the movie was 90 seconds long! Somwhere the file sizes got mixed up...

I'm having real trouble here!

Just to ask, does it make a difference if I rip only the main movie from the disc or the whole disk? I'm now just ripping the part with the movie.

DVD2AVI has given me a 261mb AC3 file (is that right?) but it seems quiet when I play it back in Creative Play Center 3....best normalisation process? Am ibest off doing this stuff in Sound Forge 6?

Also, does GK set all the divx 5 settings as in the setup file on digital digest? Is manual set up required?

I think I've got through every tutorial over the past couple of days and it's driving me mad!

Skinfreak
                        Last edited by SKiNFreak; 16 Jun 2002, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

Just to ask, does it make a difference if I rip only the main movie from the disc or the whole disk? I'm now just ripping the part with the movie.
                          Not really, especially when the movie is multi-angle, where it is always a good idea to rip one specific angle of the movie. However, if you need to rip the subtitles as well, you will need to rip the files and not only one angle.

best normalisation process? Am ibest off doing this stuff in Sound Forge 6?
                          Any sound editor capable of amplifying the volume will do, though I don't know if you can do that with an AC3 file.

Comment

• SKiNFreak
                            • Jun 2002

Right...I tried muxing the ac3 file within GK directly and got no sound. However, when I converted to mp3, I got sound...so obviously there's a problem using the ac3 file.

How can I keep surround sound but use mp3 files? Also, with the playback of the mp3 encoded avi, when I tried to fast forward or back ward, the sound did not keep in sync with the file. If I jumped ahead at all, the sound would also start from the beginning.

Skinfreak

Comment

• SKiNFreak
                              • Jun 2002

Right....I have in a folder one divx ripped file, and the ac3 file to go with it. ac3 ripped from dvd2avi and avi file from GK.

I put these 2 into nandub, audio > direct stream, ac3 and interleaving of 1ns, -79 delay (from the ac3 filename).
                              Loaded the avi file in. saved as avi>>>

Now still no sound and green lines on the right hand side of the bloody screen.

Is it a futile attempt to keep the dolby digital soundtrack?

Skinfreak

Comment

Working...