Is it wise to convert MPEG4 files into AVI?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfbluestar
    • Nov 2009

Is it wise to convert MPEG4 files into AVI?

I use a Sanyo Xacti CG9 which takes videos in MPEG4. My favorite video editing software is Arcsoft Showbiz DVD2 which does NOT support MPEG4. I have had to convert my MPEG4 files into AVI format for editing. My question is, is there any disadvantage to convert to AVI format and delete the original MPEG4 files?

Will I be losing resolution, going against the tech trend, etc.? Thanks.
  • subfrequenz
    • Dec 2009

Avi & mpeg4

Hi,

I would say it's worth making the jump to another editing package like Sony Vegas (not too expensive and a good editor for the money). More and more camcorder formats will be H264/AVCHD etc and an editor that can natively work with these files will drastically improve quality and make it it easy to export movies using modern codecs. You can download a free trial version from Sony's website to see if you like it.

PS AVi is just a wrapper containing the video file that has been encoded in a codec like Xvid etc. Still, why bother getting involved in file conversions etc when you can have an editing package that lets you focus on the creative work rather than the files.

Comment

• oposky2006
      Banned
      • Nov 2009

if u try the right and good tool to work for u, i think, it will worth

Comment

• jack10000000
        • Dec 2009

Originally Posted by sfbluestar
        I use a Sanyo Xacti CG9 which takes videos in MPEG4. My favorite video editing software is Arcsoft Showbiz DVD2 which does NOT support MPEG4. I have had to convert my MPEG4 files into AVI format for editing. My question is, is there any disadvantage to convert to AVI format and delete the original MPEG4 files?

Will I be losing resolution, going against the tech trend, etc.? Thanks.
        Every conversion is a hit to the quality. The quality loss is relatively depend on your conversion settings and the tool you use.

Freeware
        Handbrake

Pay for software
        iSkysoft Video Converter

Comment

Working...