Compressing Large Avi files without great quality loss?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hivoltage21
    • Jun 2002

Compressing Large Avi files without great quality loss?

I saw a post similar to my problem but not similar enough to solve it. What i am looking for is a way to compress a very large AVI file (900MB) down to around 700MB without losing alot of quality. Any recommended software suggestions would be great, and any other information on this topic that would be of help. Thanks very much.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

The best thing you can do is to recompress the movie at a lower bitrate (so that the end result is 700MB), while also leaving out the end credits (Work from the beginning of the movie up to the end, just before the credits appear). You should of course be using 2-pass mode to maximise the small amount of space you have and, if the audio is not already MP3 128kbps or lower, you can reencode the audio to that bitrate as well.

Edit: Anything I missed out?
    Last edited by Enchanter; 30 Jun 2002, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• hivoltage21
      • Jun 2002

What program would you recommend using for reencoding? Also, are there any optimal settings that should be used? I have seen some programs that do this, but am not sure which codec to use etc to reduce the size of the file to what i want. Thank you for your reply

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

This link will help you find the appropriate guides.

Comment

• hivoltage21
          • Jun 2002

Thanks, pretty sure I have it under control now, much appriciated

Comment

Working...