Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fujistevens
    • Jul 2002

Problem after encoding w/ Virtualdub

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and moderately new to Divx encoding so bear with me.

I just encoded John Q using of of Doom9's old tutorials, i used Dvd2avi and vfapi for frameserving and encoded with VirtualDub. (I did this both with performing IVTC and otherwise).

After I encoded the movie the final product is very choppy, i seem to remember reading something about this problem but wasn't sure exactly what to do about it. any sugguestions?

Thanks!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

i used Dvd2avi and vfapi for frameserving and encoded with VirtualDub. (I did this both with performing IVTC and otherwise).
    How can you perform IVTC with Virtualdub? You need to use either GordianKnot or TMPGEnc. I hope you're not referring to VD's decimate feature...

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

I take it Enchanter that it's an "uh - oh" sorta thing? (that's a question)

Techno

Comment

• Fujistevens
        • Jul 2002

No, i meant i had tried to do it 2 ways... performing IVTC with TMPGEnc and creating a TMPG project, and also just using DVD2AVI to create a project file without performing IVTC. According to DVD2AVI the movie is FILM over 95% for most of the movie so according to Doom9's tutorial i didn't think i needed IVTC.

As i say though, the movie turned out choppy either way i did it.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I take it that you did these two methods:
          1. D2V -> TPR -> vFAPI -> Encode
          2. D2V (Forced Film) -> vFAPI -> Encode

And if so, can you also list out the methods that you used? The video and audio bitrate, resolution, codecs used for compression (audio and video) and stuff.

Comment

• Fujistevens
            • Jul 2002

Yep, those are the two methods i used. Both times my video bitrate was set at 950 (going for 2 cd's) and audio bitrate was at 160. I used Divx 4.11 for compression... i have used this version before with good results, I can't understand why it would be so choppy this time around.

I neglected to mention that i also tried using XMpeg with the same types of settings, and got the same results. I thought that if i retreated to something i had used successfully i would have better luck.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Could it be that the final video has too high a resolution and your system is hence having trouble playing it (What's the resolution anyway?)?

Try upgrading to 4.12 (Gives you the option to let it play 3.11 contents or not) or 5.02 (which would automatically take over 3.11 playback). I don't see much difference in picture quality between 4.11 or 4.12, but it is always worth upgrading for the bug fixes.

Comment

• Fujistevens
                • Jul 2002

I doubt it, i decreased the res. to 640x352, never had a problem with other movies.

I guess what i should do is just upgrade to DIVX 5.02 and use GK one more time to see what happens.

Comment

• Fujistevens
                  • Jul 2002

Just an update, i wanted to thank everyone for their help...
                  I upgraded to Divx 5.02 and tried my encoding once more with GK. It worked phenominally, and i've done 3 more encoding's since then flawlessly. GKnot is really the way to go for sure.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Congrats'!

Comment

Working...