X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darnun
    • Oct 2004

What card for H264 via PC

Hi all,

I want to connect my PC up to my HD plasma and play .H264 HD movies through it but I am unsure of what kind of graphics card to have in my machine and also what the best spec is for the PC.

I currently have an AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.8ghz), 1g of Ram and a Ge Force TNT 2 128mb graphics card with a dsub and a DVI out.

Any ideas on whether this will cope with the H264 stuff or should I upgrade my card and processor.

Any ideas on graphics card will help. I don't have a PCI E slot on my board either, only PCI and AGP.

Thanks in advance

Darnun
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

You may want to try out this guide:

A guide which let you know if your computer is fast enough to play back high definition DVDs

It's to do with high definition DVD testing using H.264 clips (sample HD clips available).

Right now, it's the CPU that is probably the most important. While the GeForce 6/7 series (eg. 6800, 7900) have PureVideo H.264 acceleration (need to purchase additional decoder) and ATI has Avivo H.264 acceleration for it's X1000 series (eg. Radeon X1600), neither are very mature decoders and won't help you too much.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by darnun
      Hi all,

I want to connect my PC up to my HD plasma and play .H264 HD movies through it but I am unsure of what kind of graphics card to have in my machine and also what the best spec is for the PC.

I currently have an AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.8ghz), 1g of Ram and a Ge Force TNT 2 128mb graphics card with a dsub and a DVI out.

Any ideas on whether this will cope with the H264 stuff or should I upgrade my card and processor.

Any ideas on graphics card will help. I don't have a PCI E slot on my board either, only PCI and AGP.

Thanks in advance

Darnun
      depends on the file specs, particularly pofile & resolution, decoder & hardware.

IIRC that cpu should be fine for main profile ~720p content with coreAVC, but nothing is guaranteed, performance varies from system to system.

follow admin's link and try it out for yourself
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• darnun
        • Oct 2004

Thanks guys. Will definitely check out that link.

Really hope it works as I am dying to attach the PC to my plasma, mainly for DIVX stuff but it leaves a room free in my house too. It will keep the woman happy.

Thanks again.

Darnun

Comment

Working...