Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martincho33
    • Jul 2008

Question about h264 encoding.

I often download 720p and 1080p torrents which are usually ".mkv" and rarely ".ts" format, I think they reffer to HDRips.They use h264 codec..I tried both of them on my PS3 (latest firmware 2.35 Europe) and both did not work, the ".mkv" was not even in the list while the ".ts" said - unsupported or something... I followed the H264 for PS3 conversion guide on your site for a 720p video in h264 downloaded from torrent in .mkv extension. http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/PS3_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page1.html
    It worked almost fine, but it took a little less than 3 days to complete the megui operation so that is unacceptable for regular use.I have two questions.
    1.After the megui operation finished it looked to me like the file was suitable for a single dvd... I think it was 4,27 or 4,37 .. sorry dont remember the exact size but I think it was <4.50GB.After that I used mkv2vob to convert the file to a .VOB file and the result was two files - 4,27 and one around 500MB.Why this happened and Is there a way to avoid this from happening ? (may be because I increased the AC3 sound bitrate from 256 to 384kbps in megui?)
    2.As I said this reencoding is too slow for me and my pc:
    P4530J@3GHZ
    1024MB RAM
    GF6600GT
    160GB SATA HITACHI.
    So I tried only using the mkv2vob program.It took less than an hour for the job and it worked fine this time even a 1080p movie.What's the problem with using only the mkv2vob program for preparing a video for playback on PS3 ?
    Thanks in advance.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Well as you said, you probably shouldn't have increased the bitrate of the AC3 encoding. It's probably best to just save the file on a dual layer DVD, or you can re-encode the AC3 again at the same bitrate as the AAC (lower quality, unfortunately) and then do the process again. You can use either the mkv2VOB method or you can use the new M2TS method also in the same guide (you don't have to re-encode anything, you can extract the H.264 track from the MKV file using MKVExtractGUI, and then proceed with the instructions to join the H.264 and AC3 file).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...