Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikeb4kool
    • Dec 2001

Freezing...burrrr!

I have just recently gotten into Divx movies while running 98. To watch I've downloaded sevaral codecs and used Windows Media Player to watch. All was good. I installed Windows XP recently and everything has been fine except....my poor Divx movies.

My first problem was that Windows Media Player 7.1 which was installed with XP didn't play my Divx movies. Well, I decided to download another player. I've tried three different players including "The Playa" which I thought was working great...until it started just "freezing" my system. Completely. I'd have to restart the whole computer. I've tried two other players since then which has done no justive at all. I'm not sure if it's my video drivers or something of that sort or a codec problem?

Could it be my video drivers? I'm using a Geforce 2 GTS with the XP detnator 23.11 drivers. The latest out I believe. Please help!
  • Trancemaster
    Snoogins
    • Dec 2001

Hey Mike,

It would be good if you could tell us which codecs you already have installed, and which codecs your DivX's use. Look under File Properties, summary. Post that info, and it'll make identifying the problem a bit easier.

BTW, you say WMP 7.1 was installed with XP? On my copy of XP I have WMP 8.0, I only had 7.1 when I used WinMe.

Also, I think it's very unlikely to be your video card or drivers, especially with a GeForce 2 GTS, which just happens to be a wicked video card!
    Snooch to the Nooch!

Comment

• Mikeb4kool
      • Dec 2001

Sorry for being on crack. You are correct when saying I have 8.0. Well whatever version it is it doesn't work. As for codecs I've installed the mini Tsunami pack, whatever codec that came with "the playa", and the NimoPack. Those are the biggest most important ones I can remember...I may have a few others.

As for what my DivX's use...the one that I was attempting to watch today and was freezing uncontrollably was using DIVXMPG4 V3 for video compression and another one that I was trying to watch the day before that was also using the same thing. Both froze quite frequently. The both used Mpeg layer 3 for audio compression and both varied in data and bit rate. All my DivX's seem to use the same DVIXMPG4 V3 with the audio compression varying between MPEG Layer 3 and WMA 2. The thing I don't understand is that these were working quite fine on 98 before all this XP business. I'd really hate to give up XP now that I've gotten all my other problems fixed with it except for this.
      Eeeek!

-Mike

Comment

• Mikeb4kool
        • Dec 2001

Well Trance, I went back to 98 after a little thought. They stopped freezing! Strange if you ask me....but one other problem that seemed trivial compared to the freezing is now just as annoying. On certain videos the sound un-syncs with the video. I don't think this is a processor speed issue...I have an Athlon running at 1.533 ghz. Any ideas?

Comment

• baltzr
          • Dec 2001

I had the same problems when switching from 98se to xp, blamed my Kyro based card drivers first...
          but then I removed one of my memory "bars" (or whats the term again? - I have one 256mb Infinion bar and one 128mb NoName - so I removed the NoName one and voilá, problem solved...

A friend of mine told me win xp is less "forgiving" about bad hardware than win 98, so that gave me the idea.
          There are progs to check your ram bars for failures, you´ll likely find an error somewhere, especially with NoName ram - the source for a lot of stability problems.

Now my system is rockstable and I couldn´t be happier - no more crashes and strange failures.

Hope this helps
          Last edited by baltzr; 30 Dec 2001, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• JDooty1234
            • Jan 2002

Well round here we call memory "sticks" or "DIMMS". Dunno if that was the term you're looking for or not.

John

Comment

• Mrs.Fletcher
              • Jan 2002

i have the same problems when playing back divx-movies - they start without any difficulties, but after about 10 min the system freezes. this also happens with avi's which worked fine before i formatted my hd and re-installed windows a few days ago. i'm running win98SE, P500Mhz, 128 MB, divx 3.11 and 4.12 codecs installed, directx 8.0, wmp 7.0 and global divx (same problem with both players).
              i also made a simm-test and a lot of other hardware-tests, which were all ok, so this can't be the problem.
              any suggestions would be appreciated!
              thanks in advice,
              mrs. fletcher

Comment

• haflo
                • Jan 2002

hell o
                when i switched to xp i had the same problem with the wmp 8.
                and after all the codec's shit i did i didnt found an answer.
                just when i installed bsplayer. it works much much better from the microsoft media player.
                give it a try.

Comment

Working...