Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CoolDude
    • Dec 2001

Please Help! DivX movies are skipping!

I have this weird problem with all divx movies, and it didn't happen until a few days ago. Every divx movie that i play skips at many points in the movie. And it doesn't just make it slow, it skips a few secconds of the movie (the sound & the video) and this makes me miss a lot of the words. I tried this with different codecs (3.11, 4.02) and different players (media player, gdivx, powerdvd) and that didn't help at all. Can someone please help me, it's not possible to watch movies this way!!!

P.S. Here are my system specs:

Athlon XP 1500 1.3GHz
    256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    GeForce2 MX400 64MB
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Did you install any new software, or change any system settings in the last "few days"? If so, try uninstalling (new software) or resetting (system settings).

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• CoolDude
      • Dec 2001

Well, i did install new nvidia drivers, i think that's all. But would that really make any difference?

Comment

• CoolDude
        • Dec 2001

Ok, i installed older video drivers, and i updated my sound card drivers and that didn't help at all. I would really like to find out why this is happening!!!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Are these .AVIs that you've created or are they downloads? If downloads, are they all from the same source? If they're all from the same source that may be the root of your problems.

Or, for a real "logshot", the following is from the "Troubleshooting" section of the VirtualDub Help file:

"Stuttering in ActiveMovie and Windows Media Player

Note that ActiveMovie is the name of the movie streaming technology, and Windows Media Player is an application that uses ActiveMovie.

This problem often shows up as uneven frame rates, where the movie will suddenly play too quickly, and sound may even skip. We've traced this down to two causes:

· The Indeo 5 codec.

For some reason, movies created with the Intel Indeo 5 codec will occasionally play too quickly under ActiveMovie. The solution is to hit play, then pause the movie immediately, and unpause again. This seems strange, but then again, so is the problem.

· Half-duplex mode in Creative Sound Blaster AWE32/64 drivers.

Consistent stuttering seems to be a symptom in this case, particularly if Reverb is enabled. It turns out that one way to fix this problem is to download the latest Sound Blaster drivers from the Creative site (ftp.creaf.com) and turn on full-duplex mode. This disables Reverb on the wave out, but you can toggle full-duplex operation without rebooting, so this isn't a problem.

Note that this problem won't go away if you simply mute Reverb."
          Last edited by setarip; 30 Dec 2001, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• CoolDude
            • Dec 2001

That's ecactly what is happenening here. At different points in the movie, it starts to play too fast, and sometimes it just goes a few seconds ahead. I also noticed that it doesn't just happen in divx movies, but also in mpeg movies. More specifically, in episodes of the Simpsons, which I think are from different sources and i don't have any other movies. I think it's something with my soundcard, because when i uninstalled the divx codec and played them (they played only with sound, no video) it still happened. But i don't know what it could be because i haven't changed my drivers until today, and the problem was occuring even before today. And what is described in the Virtualdub troubleshooting is exactly what's happening to me, except these movies aren't encoded with Indeo 5 at all.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

What about the information regarding the Soundblaster "Reverb" problem also noted in the VDub help (again) - is this applicable to your system?

"· Half-duplex mode in Creative Sound Blaster AWE32/64 drivers.

Consistent stuttering seems to be a symptom in this case, particularly if Reverb is enabled. It turns out that one way to fix this problem is to download the latest Sound Blaster drivers from the Creative site (ftp.creaf.com) and turn on full-duplex mode. This disables Reverb on the wave out, but you can toggle full-duplex operation without rebooting, so this isn't a problem.

Note that this problem won't go away if you simply mute Reverb."

Comment

• CoolDude
                • Dec 2001

I have a Soundblaster PCI128, but i don't know if it would apply to this. And i can't seem to find where i can change it to half-duplex mode, so i'm guessing it doesn't apply here.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"It turns out that one way to fix this problem is to download the latest Sound Blaster drivers from the Creative site (ftp.creaf.com) and turn on full-duplex mode."

It's possible that your present driver doesn't show the half-duplex/full-duplex mode controls - whereas, perhaps, it is possible that if you follow the suggested direction above (once again, from the VDub Help file) you probably WILL have access to this control.

Try it, you might like it.

I have no additional suggestions...

Comment

• CoolDude
                    • Dec 2001

I tried everything and it didn't work, but thanks for helping me anyway. I guess i'll figure it out sooner or later.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Good luck and have a Happy New Year ;>}

Comment

• Thrawn
                        • Jan 2002

have u tried playing it back with "The Playa" which should be in the DivX4 zip file?

I have problems running avis with Media Player too, but they work just fine in The Playa
                        The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• CoolDude
                          • Dec 2001

Yes, and that didn't work either. But I think it's fixed now, since I watched a divx movie yesterday without any problems. I don't know what I did to fix it though.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"I don't know what I did to fix it though."

Aw, cmon ;>}

Comment

Working...