Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flash
    • Nov 2002

Encoding ATI Captured MPEGs to DivX: No Video

OK, I have a Radeon 8500DV All-in-wonder. I like to capture the video to MPEG1 at 320*240 resolution at a bitrate of 3.00Mb/second with the audio at 48KHz 16bit stereo sound. (I like to start off with as high of a quality as possible)

I use virtualdub and the latest divx5 codec to encode(not the full versions, just the free/no adware version). Things went funny when I tried to encode (I'll get back to that) so I tried taking just a small video clip with my card (1 min 30 second at the specs mentioned above) and in VirtualDub I saved it as an uncompressed RGB avi file, (I assumed that this would fix things, eliminating anything funny about ATI's encoding that was causing my problems) this was tried with and without sound.

I use the divx codec to encode the file, I use the default settings, essentially, and the two-pass encoding with a bitrate of 900 Kbps. (I was talked through this by others, I THOUGHT that I had it figured out...)

One thing that was never clear was during which pass should I encode the sound. I do it on the second, with no audio compression on the first. When I encoded with no sound, I made sure to select 'no sound' from the audio menu.

After the two passes, when I try to play the video, I get sound (if I kept the sound), but no video, just a black 320*240 screen. This seems to NEVER change, no matter what options I fsck around with. What am I missing?

Somebody suggested to me that video interlacing might have something to do with my problems, I must plead complete ignorance on that subject, can someone explain it? Is it possibly a factor?

Any help would not only be greatly appreciated, I might just bow down before you as if you were a god.
  • Flash
    • Nov 2002

Oooh... I get the feeling that I'm gonna regret this... but here goes...

*bump*

...Oh god... What have I done?... Have I sealed my own fate?...

Sorry for the excessive detail, I figured that would be less likely to be ignored than

"Subject: PROBLEM!!!1!!11! plz plz plz hlp m3!!

This ATI card feels so useless to me...

If anybody else has an ATI All-in/TV wonder and likes to encode TV captures to DivX files, what do you use to do it?

Comment

• Flash
      • Nov 2002

And again... I reply to my own thread...

I've found the source of my problem.... I think...

I CAN'T encode into divx. I've tried everything. I've uninstalled divx and virtualdub and downloaded them again and installed them again.... and no matter what options I change, I always get black video...

Am I missing some stupid, stupid, common mistake?

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

What is the extension of the ati created mpeg 1 file? Perhaps it has certain restrictions on it.

You may attain better quality, by using a lossless codec such as huffyuv? and capturing in Virtualdub itself (NOTE: this requires large amounts of free hdd space) and then compressing to divx.

Comment

• Flash
          • Nov 2002

After examining things a bit, it may not have anything to do with the MPEG format. Its the 2-pass divx encoding that is being stupid to me, so I guess this thread is pointless... I should've figured these things out sooner...

I read a few posts on 2-pass encoding and it seemed simple enough, so I ASSumed that it was a problem with the MPEG format. I still don't know why I get this error, I can't figure it out for the very life of me, I thought it might have been a crappy divx or virtualdub install, or maybe an XP issue, but here I am with everything uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed (I even wandered back over to my 98 partition!) and still, no dice.

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

You may want to gather more information on 2 pass encoding, search this forum, read the guides. Doom9.org is also another site that you may find useful.

Comment

Working...