X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stormblade
    Video Editing Newbie
    • Jan 2002

Video Playing upsidedown and backwards

I noticed that a couple of videos would play upside down and backwards. I'd had this problem a long time ago. Don't remember how I solved it but it's with me now.

The codec being used when this happens is the DivX Mpeg-4 DVD Video Compressor. Any video which uses this and I try to play in Windows Media Player will be upside down and backwards. Playing the file in the DivX player works just fine of course.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Should I just remove that codec?
    My Awesome Computer System called Midnight
    The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

check if this file is present on your system:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DivXG400.ax

if it is and in case you HAVENT got a matrox vga, remove the file reboot and try your avi playback again!

if it doesnt help, read this:

Last edited by UncasMS; 8 Jan 2003, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Stormblade
      Video Editing Newbie
      • Jan 2002

Thanks for the reply.

The file doesn't exist. That was the first thing I checked. Looking over the other posts your link showed me they repeatedly mentioned this file as the solution. Since I don't have that file I don't know what else to do.

Another suggestion was to switch players. Well, I like to use one player for all if possible. I don't like having multiple players and WMP works for me 99% of the time.
      The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it.

Comment

• gs0666
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Nov 2001

Try this if you have VobSub installed :

Start the movie in WMP and double-click on the Vobsub icon (the green arrow on the taskbar)

Under the Misc. tab select Flip picture vertically

Comment

• Stormblade
          Video Editing Newbie
          • Jan 2002

Don't know anything about Vosub and see no icon when I'm playing the movie back.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

If you're not afraid of "messing" with the Windows registry, locate:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Scrunch\WMVid eo\Vertical Flip Packed YUV, and then set the DWORD value of this registry key to 1.

Comment

• Stormblade
              Video Editing Newbie
              • Jan 2002

No such key exists. In that branch I have

Video
              WMVideo

I think I put my system specs in sig but it's been a bit since I've been here. I'm running Windows XP if that makes any difference. Most videos play fine but just a few don't and they all shared the same characteristic I mentioned previously.

If played in the DivX Player it plays just fine. I suppose one solution it if the videos are really important I can convert them but I kinda would like to solve this instead of work around it.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Try adding the entire key...

Comment

• Stormblade
                  Video Editing Newbie
                  • Jan 2002

No go. Added the entire key. Didn't fix. Rebooted just in case. Still playing upside down and backwards.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Another suggestion was to switch players. Well, I like to use one player for all if possible. I don't like having multiple players and WMP works for me 99% of the time."

Well, you may just have to resort to occasionally using another player. The Sasami Player has an option for flipping the video "on the fly"...

Comment

• Stormblade
                      Video Editing Newbie
                      • Jan 2002

Well currently I play those files in the Divx Player and it plays fine. I tried the player you mentioned some time back and didn't care for the UI. It was a while ago and I remember trying it and not liking the interface but don't remember much more than that.

I may give it another try. See how things are now but I guess if I can't get Windows media player to play it properly I'll either:

1) Play it in another player (Divx or some other)
                      2) Re-encode it.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

Whatever floats your boat ;>}

Comment

• Batman
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2002

Try BSPLAYER or WMP 6.4 (mplayer2.exe)

Comment

• Stormblade
                            Video Editing Newbie
                            • Jan 2002

WMP is where the problem occurs. Both 6.4 and 8

Comment

• Stormblade
                              Video Editing Newbie
                              • Jan 2002

Tried the Sasami player again and reminded myself why I don't use it. It has a tendency to lock up on me. Requiring me to kill it. Also, when I try to seek forward it just goes back to the start of the movie rather than seeking forward.

All this in just the first 2 minutes of trying it out. Too bad, it looks like it could have been a nice player for me. It might be that these problems are under Windows XP only? I see lots of people saying how much they like the player.

Comment

Working...