• Show
Clear All
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

About this new DivX/DVD player

The following news release appeared in February -

Perhaps most important, note the reference to "RETAIL PRICE":

This is the html version of the file http://www.sigmadesigns.com/news/art...sia012203.pdf.
    G o o g l e automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
    These search terms have been highlighted: link concept divx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 1
    Chinese Makers Display MPEG-4 DVD Players at Int'l Consumer Electronics ShowJanuary 22, 2003 (TOKYO) -- MPEG-4 DVD players on display at the Hong Kong booth at the 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) gathered people's attention. CES was held Jan. 9-12 in Las Vegas in the United States. For example, Cosmic Digital Technology Ltd and Link Concept Technology Ltd of China exhibited MPEG-4-compliant DVD players. Chinese makers are focusing on the MPEG-4 technology, as the technology can store images with quality equal to DVDs in low-priced CD-R discs. DVD players that support MPEG-4 technology are likely to increase in the market. Both companies' products have a decoding LSI chip by Sigma Designs Inc of the United States and can play back images in the DivX format. Cosmic Digital Technology plans to export products in March 2003. Link Concept Technology reportedly will start shipments sometime between February through March 2003. Cosmic Digital Technology expects its retail price to be around US$240. MPEG-4 DVD players have steadily come on the market since the fall of 2002. For example, KiSS Technology A/S of Denmark already announced its DVD player, the "DP-450," using a decoding LSI chip, the "EM8500," of Sigma Designs. Sigma Designs announced on Nov. 14, 2002 that Lite-On Information Technology Corp of Taiwan used the EM8500 for its DVD player, the "LVD-2001." Cosmic Digital Technology's MPEG-4 player
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 2
    Link Concept Technology's MPEG-4 player (Masayuki Arai, Staff Editor, Nikkei Electronics) <Visit This Week for more Asian news.> Copyright (c) 1996-2002, Nikkei Business Publications Asia Ltd, Nikkei Business Publications, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

hmmmm. Why is that other guy selling them for so much more then.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"hmmmm. Why is that other guy selling them for so much more then."

Why do you think I posted this news release?

Perhaps "zerosix" can provide a MEANINGFUL explanation for you and the other apparently interested posters...

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for the info setarip looks like zerosix has some explaining to do.

Comment

• Zerosix
          • Apr 2003

Re: About this new DivX/DVD player

Originally posted by setarip
          Cosmic Digital Technology plans to export products in March 2003. Link Concept Technology reportedly will start shipments sometime between February through March 2003. Cosmic Digital Technology expects its retail price to be around US$240.
          Guess what? After some investigation, your claims against the player I am selling are completely inaccurate. If you read the article that you posted yourself it is talking about TWO different companies that use the SAME decoder chip. And that's all. It says in your own post in very clear English that the player by COSMIC TECHNOLOGY will retail for $240. This article makes NO mention of the one by Link Concept and Harmony and it's retail price.
          Last edited by Zerosix; 2 May 2003, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

If we don't look out for ourselves as a group, who will?

Comment

• Zerosix
              • Apr 2003

Are you admitting that you and your findings are wrong?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Are you admitting that you and your findings are wrong?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You've already acknowledged that the information is correct - and then attempted to "justify" your padding of the price with hypothetical additional costs.

My statement simply indicates that my postings of the CORRECT price information was done to make sure my fellow posters DON'T GET SCREWED!

Comment

• Zerosix
                  • Apr 2003

i have an idea, let's argue on a public forum!

We set the price based on what was fair... I have heard nothing about a $240 MSRP and I, like the others, mis-read your post about its cost, and wanted to take into consideration that maybe you knew something that I didnt know.

I never confirmed anything to be 100% accurate, I am just giving the facts as i know them. I didn't add any hypothetical "padding" to "justify" our price -- I just told you the factors we took into consideration to GET that price that we are selling them at.

And your posting of the correct price information relates to a Set Top Divx player that isnt even being sold or is the topic of discussion.

So be stubborn... Argue until you are content, but I have nothing more to say about your 'findings" and postings. Your research is moot and you are making me out to be the swindler I am not.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

How about you give us something offical to look at to "confirm" your price

Comment

• Zerosix
                      • Apr 2003

I will... I have already inquired to the company. And if I am wrong, we will change our price -- It's as simple as that.

fair?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2003

If you have done what you just stated yes I believe that is fair

Comment

Working...