Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sterling
    • Nov 2003

Xvid to Mpg for VCD

I have read a lot about converting Xvid to mpg for vcd, but am stuck on the audio ripping part.

Should be easy, open nandub, open xvid movie, set video to "direct stream copy", set audio to "full processing mode", choose no compression....OK?

Well when I then try to save a wav it opens and closes the progress box in about 1 second and saves a 0 byte file. If I select "Direct Stream Copy" under AUDIO as well as VIDEO, it saves ok, but I guess the wav is no good like this (still "vbr"?).

This all comes about because when making an mpg of this movie the audio kept going out of sync (using Tmpeg), so I am trying to rip a non vbr copy of the audio track).

The avi info is here BTW:

I have downloaded what I think is the fraunhofer codec, but still no joy.

Thanks

Jules
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio for use with TMPGEnc

Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) Save with a new filename

Comment

• sterling
      • Nov 2003

Thanks - yes, that has worked, but I have tried to use the same proceedure for the next Xvid movie and that has not worked. The movie is in sync at the beginning but gradually gets more out of sync until at the end it is 3 seconds out or so.

The info page is here:

This movie seems to have a much larger info page than the first Xvid I did, but I am not sure why I am getting such a gradual problem with sync.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Jules

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• sterling
          • Nov 2003

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This link goes to the file info for this new xvid file:

I shall also try to attach it to this posting. The movie gradually goes out of sync until it is about 3 seconds off at the end.

Thanks

Jules

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

Hi Sterling, I've been looking at VirtualDubMod today hoping it may get me out of my problem but I notice from your screenshots the second one appears to be PAL as opposed to NTSC?
            Just a thought but there is a frame rate option under the video menu?
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To sterling

Load the now-modified Xvid-compressed .AVI (that now has a .WAV audiostream) into VirtualDubMOD and:

From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" - and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Save with a new filename

By the way, did you notice that in the "File Information" that you've posted, the video length is listed as 1 hour plus, while the audio length is listed as 4 hours plus?
              Last edited by setarip; 28 Nov 2003, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• sterling
                • Nov 2003

Thanks to setarip for the advice.

I have now tried the method you advised by altering the video/frame rate options in Virtualdubmod, and indeed you would have thought this would work, but the audio on the new avi (xvid avi with no sound, and .wav audio both saved as a new avi) is still out of sync.

In an effort to correct this I have stretched the wav in "cool edit" to the same length as the movie (it was 3 seconds shorter when originally ripped), and used that, but it is STILL out of sync. The gap seems to get worse the further the movie goes on.

Perhaps I have done something wrong? I am really not sure what else to try. There has to be someway of getting a wav that matches the video on this movie.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Jules

Comment

Working...