X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darnun
    • Oct 2004

DIVX / AVI Menu

Hi All,

It's been ages since I have been on here, mainly due to not being around the PC much for the last year. I am now settled and getting back in to my gadgets / movies.

I have question for anyone who can help.

I have put 4 avi files on to a DVD (as avi's not vob files) and then watched them on my DIVX DVD player.
    I want to put the same AVI files on to a dvd but with menus this time.
    Can this be done and what with.

I know if I convert each file in to Vob files, I can Author that way but that means taking up 4 dvdrs instead of 1.

Any ideas on tips, software etc etc would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Darnun
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by darnun
    but that means taking up 4 dvdrs instead of 1.
    not if you use the correct program..

'tmpgenc dvd author' is the best authoring program IMO, and can create menu's for dvd's with multiple tracks, allowing you to put as many movies/clips as you wish

creating the menus is quite easy, so the only problem is getting the 4 movies onto the dvd in the first place at decent enough quality
    Last edited by anonymez; 15 Sep 2005, 09:06 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• darnun
      • Oct 2004

Oh buggar. THought as much.
      Have done quite a bit of authoring on dvd's and have used tempgenc before amongst other tools.
      Getting avi's on a dvd and authoring is a nightmare.
      As for getting all four avi movies on a dvd, well I could do it but they would be crap quality.
      Ah well, looks like I was pipe dreaming again. Would be a good thing for someone to create though. I reckon there's a market for stuff like this.

Thanks Again
      Darnun

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i do this all the time, simple really,
        this is the method i use for those types of files.

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI/MPG/wmv etc. to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this--SPECIFY BITRATE to accomadate 4 files onto 1 dvd-5!

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

4 movies on a dvd is really pushing it though, the compression would be horrible, even on a 68cm CRT...

you could get 2 movies on it no sweat, if you don't mind the huge amount of time it takes to encode at higher motion search precision settings...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

yes even 2 movies is pushing it, even if they are both 1 hr 30 min movies....
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• darnun
              • Oct 2004

Thanks guys. I'll give this a blast and see what happens.
              I have to remember that I bought the Divx player so I could get more movies on each dvd, so I wouldn't have to buy so many blanks.

Thanks for all your help.

Darnun

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

let us know how it goes

Comment

Working...