X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Equus
    • Nov 2005

Invalid AVI file

Hi guys!

Just spent a day downloading a Spanish movie file encoded by www.pctorrent.com When it finally finished, I realised that it can't be played in any of my programs (WinAmp, Windows Media Player, DivX player)... G Spot says it's simply not a valid AVI file, as do a whole range of other AVI fixers I've downloaded...
    Tried renaming the file, thought maybe it's an mpeg, or even a .zip or .rar file, but to no avail.
    I can't find out what's in the stupid thing!
    And the site of origin itself is of no use, it's all in Spanish, can't really make much out of it. Also, the torrent came with two other files, one a .ini and the other a .txt file, both of which seem to be completely empty...
    Last edited by blutach; 2 Nov 2005, 10:18 PM.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

what was the original file extention?

could be an ogm file, download & install 'ogg ds filters' from http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm

i also recommend you download & install the latest 'ffdshow' from http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/ffdshow

try playing it with 'media player classic' or VLC
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Equus
      • Nov 2005

Hey Anonymez!

The original extension is .avi, like it's supposed to be. I tried downloading OggDs and ffsdhow, but not luck. VLC gives up and dies when it tries to play the file...

Is it possible that the whole file is corrupted beyond recognition?! That it's 700Mb of junk??

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

load the file into virtualdubMOD and make a screenshot of => FILE => FILE INFORMATION

Comment

• Equus
          • Nov 2005

VirtualDubMod can't detect the file type either. Guess it is junk...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Is it possible that the whole file is corrupted beyond recognition?! That it's 700Mb of junk??
            you bet. you need to find the details of the file with virtualdubmod or similar as mentioned above.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Equus
              • Nov 2005

Thanks for the help anyway!

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

try Gspot or avicodec to identify the file. you can also try divfix or avipreview. if divfix or avipreview won't reconstruct the file then I would agree that the file is junk.

Comment

• blankaant
                  • Nov 2010

My advice

I have tried million manual solutions but nothing helped,use a small tool available at pathtoodeep.com to resolve it and render it useable

Comment

• sandyzk12
                    • Jan 2011

Seems we have a similar problem. I wouldn't waste time, delete it and re-download another. Do you use mac or win?

Comment

Working...