Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pearhead
    • Dec 2005

Xvid issues???

Ok here we go... I've been trouble shooting my prob. for a day or so now, thought i'd finally post somewhere. I would have went to the "Xvid" forum, but it's not takin new users for whatever reason. Anyways...all my sound issues are fine until I install the XVID codec. It doesn't matter if i only install it or use a bundled codec pack. Once installed all my movie files (no mater the format or type of media it's on) and even movies at the begining of games, has all this staticy/popping noise. And if i unintall it everythings fine. Just can't view my fav. Xvid files.I've got all current sound card drivers, mo-bo bios, and what not. So if anyone can shed some light or would like to help out feel free...i'll be waiting for replies...
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

that's odd, i don't believe the xvid codec comes with an audio codec.

if you just want to PLAY xvid files, and not encode them, the easy solution would be to uninstall xvid & download and install the latest "ffdshow"
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Pearhead
      • Dec 2005

i'll have to try that and get back to ya....

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

save you some trouble
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Pearhead
          • Dec 2005

nope...didn't work.... same result.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

which xvid did you install (initially)?
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

why do you need xvid installed? do you encode with it? you said "everything's fine" when you uninstall it.

Comment

• Pearhead
                • Dec 2005

Initially I was using the K-Lite codec pack ver. 2.41. Thats what i've been using forever. I've tried older versions, as well as just the Xvid codec by itself. I do have files that are encoded w/ xvid that i need to watch as well as converting them to dvd format for burning. I uninstalled it and tried the "ffdshow" as you suggested Anonymez. But to no avail the same thing happens. I've noticed when installing the K-lite pack it has a pull down tab that highlights different codecs to be used. Or how the codec should be used(decoding/encoding). Anyone have any experience w/ these options???

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

i advise against all codec packs, so obviously i don't use them.

IMO you should uninstall all codecs/codec packs through control panel-->add/remove programs, then:

Originally Posted by anonymez
                  my list of what is needed regarding codecs/filters on any PC:

ffdshow - get it from http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/ffdshow

nvidia purevideo codec (you can substitute windvd/powerdvd here) -for dvd's/mpeg-2 (i use dscaler instead, IMO it beats everything else)

real alternative - so you don't have to install 'realone player'

quicktime alternative - so you don't have to install quicktime

media player classic - extremely stable and fast media player. best player ever.

oggDS filter - directshow filter for ogm/ogg

windows media player 10 if you wish

that's it. install nothing else, especially codec packs

Comment

• Pearhead
                    • Dec 2005

i've already tried that, (uninstalling the pack that is) and it does the same thing when i install "ffdshow". I have never used windvd/powerdvd but might check them out. As for the real alternative,q.time alt. media player classic, i've always used them. but it's always the same result.....i'll try once more though.

Comment

• celtic_druid
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Dec 2005

Uninstalling a codec pack won't necessarily restore things to how they were.

As said, XviD has nothing to do with audio. It installs a VfW codec as well as a directshow video decoder. That is it.

Comment

• Pearhead
                        • Dec 2005

so is there a registry key i could delete to get rid of everything from the pack? Does anyone know what that K-lite codec pack registers itself as in the system registry? Uninstalling and adding those recommended codecs by themselves produced the same carackling and popping

Comment

• Pearhead
                          • Dec 2005

nevermind and thank you for all your help......just sorry i wasted everyone's time...lol I narrowed it down to conflict between my (PCI) vid card and sound card (PCI)....turns out all i needed was an AGP card since my BIOS doesn't have a "disable" option for the AGP slot on it.

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

glad it all worked out

stil don't see how that could be related to the xvid codec though...

Comment

Working...