Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbn
    • Feb 2005

MP4 Audio

I've read about using MP4 as a way to further compress/improve MP3 audio files that can still be played by MP3 players. I admit I'm a little confused. I know MP4 is the latest, greatest from MPEG & it can process video & audio, but I thought it was incompatible with MP3 players. Please educate me about MP4. What I want to do is compress my CD's & copy them to DVD's so I can play them on a portable DVD player.
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

mp4 is just a container. It can contain mp3, however you are going to get slightly larger sizes than just the mp3.

mp4 can also contain aac (most common) and ALS (lossless) audio as well as I guess anything else as a private stream (vorbis and ALAC would be examples).

Excluding ipods, most don't support mp4. Ipods support lc aac and ALAC. Don't think they can play mp3 in mp4, even though they support both mp3 and mp4.

For a portable DVD player you are probably looking at either mp3 or WMA std. Some DVD players also support aac (not sure if in mp4 or not) and ogg vorbis though.

Comment

Working...