• Show
Clear All
  • vash
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • May 2005

AVI. file no sound?

hi,

i have an AVI. file that has no volume. after running GSPOT i was informed i lacked an AC3 codec. after downloading that i was able to view with low audio in WMP. however, i wanted to convert my AVI. file to TS Video files to view on my stand alone player. i used Nero Vision to convert the files to (?TS?). then ran it through dvd shrink to compress the files. i was able to pre-view the video's in the dvd shrink player with sound. i can play the produced disc and converted source files with PowerDVD. however not on my stand alone player and no longer with volume in WMP. where did i go wrong? did i convert the file improperly?

it totally stumps me that a DVD disc can play properly in PowerDVD but not my stand alone player? I get an disc error message. or why in PowerDVD but without volume in WMP? i've performed this process in the past with only success. please help! thanks!!
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

PowerDVD has the AC3 for DVDs... dunno why WMP wouldn't.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• vash
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • May 2005

i can see the AC3 icon sitting in my control panel...

Comment

• celtic_druid
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Dec 2005

Can Nero keep the AC3? If you have a source with AC3, you should simply reuse it, rather than re-encode. Also you shouldn't be running DVDShrink. Much better to just use the correct bitrate when you encode.

Comment

• vash
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • May 2005

unfortunately i no longer have the source file, i have the shrink folder with vob,...,..., files. how can i test them to see what audio there using? GSPOT shows Video Path: (S) --> Nero Splitter --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)

Comment

• celtic_druid
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Dec 2005

That is just the video.

Comment

• vash
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • May 2005

D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB

MPEG2_AUDIO

(S) --> Nero Splitter --> CyberLink Audio Decoder --> (R)

Comment

• celtic_druid
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Dec 2005

Under NTSC DVD specs mp2 can't be the only audio stream. So NTSC players, in theory don't need to support it. I thought that they all did though.

Comment

• vash
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • May 2005

hi quick question,

when converting i was asked whether i wanted PAL or NTSC formatting. i wasn't sure and chose PAL. could that be why no playability on dvd player but it works on pc using power dvd? how do i convert from PAL back to NTSC?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by vash
                    when converting i was asked whether i wanted PAL or NTSC formatting. i wasn't sure and chose PAL. could that be why no playability on dvd player but it works on pc using power dvd?
                    that could be if you are in region 1 and have a NTSC only standalone player. just re-encode this time choosing NTSC.
                    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                    Columbo moments...
                    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• dodge
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2003

You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya

your about as much use as a common cold . isnt columbo dead?

Comment

Working...