The definitive media codec configuration...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blayz~~
    blayz~~
    • Feb 2006

The definitive media codec configuration...

*Calling any and all media codec experts:

I've searched through this and various other forums for the ultimate solution to this universal problem. While I realize there is currently no *perfect* way to configure a system to render ALL formats and codecs, I'm at least looking for a consensus amongst experts for the best methods to use.

I'm running winXP with SP2 and have done a system restore back to the factory settings, removing the preinstalled software/media programs as they are not the most current versions anyway, and I wanted to start out with a totally clean system.

Now, from this point, what are the optimum ways to set things up to render as many different media codecs and formats as possible? Should I use WMP-10 as a main default player for everything? Is there a "quintessential" plug-in program like ACEmegaCodecs Pack that will work with WMP-10 to play most formats? Do I still need separate versions of QuickTime, RealPlayer, Divx, etc...or, universal players like VLC or Irfanview? If so, how should the various MIME and file associations be configured to run affectively and not conflict with the WMP-10 and ACE?

Also, how do things like Flash Player 8, Shockwave, and ActiveX browser plug-ins factor into the equation? While I realize it's necessary to still use IE (because it's so integrated with the Windows OS) for just about every other reason I think it SUCKS. IMO Firefox is *much* better for everything else so an ideal solution is needed that will work with both browsers.

Like I said, it's understood that there's no perfect method, but some opinions on what you consider the best basic media codec configurations would be greatly appreciated.

blayz~~
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

one of our favorite members anonymez has a suggested list using media player classic as the main playback software--which i also use:

Talk about all other file container formats and video codecs in this forum, including Ogg, RMVB, MOV, ASF, WMV ...
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• futurex
      Outlaw Ridah
      • Mar 2005

though its not in the link LT. Columbo gave, anon likes and recommends VLC too. it uses its own codecs

Futurex

Comment

• blayz~~
        blayz~~
        • Feb 2006

Cool, thanks for the info...yeah I have used VLC before and liked it's operation, but it still doesn't appear to support all formats like RealPlayer and QuickTime (does MP Classic?)...and are there any additional codec plug-in packs that work with VLC? Evidently, ACE...http://www.gustosoft.com..does make a Pro version media player that even plays QT and RM format but I have not tried it yet.

I'm concerned with embeded video and graphic web content rendering...do you know if VLC will automatically pop-up when it is set as default? And do you just remove the all file associations with WMP or completely disable it...

Comment

Working...