Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heyjude85023
    • Dec 2005

.mpg created with tmpgenc has no video

this is only the fourth time i have taken a movie from dvd to mp3 player format, so please bear with me if the solution is out there and obvious, but i couldn’t find it.

i ran dvd2avi and everything seemed to work perfectly. the .wav and .d2v files were created successfully.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comtmpgenc seemed to successfully create the .mpg file, but when i play it, there is no video. (note: i did not move any of the files during the process so tmpgenc shouldn’t have gotten “confused”.) i don’t remember having any problems the first 3 times i did this, so i can’t figure out what i did wrong this time.

<o></o>
    i searched for a solution on this site and while i found lots on “no audio” i haven’t come across a thread specifically on “no video” on .mpg files. (i had a similar problem with an .avi file once, and gspot helped correct that, but gspot doesn’t seem to be for .mpg files.)

<o></o>
    the next step in this long process would be to run the .mpg through virtual dub using the correct .vcf to format the resulting .avi file to run on my player. i thought of trying that to see if the process would restore the video, but my logic could be faulty.

before taking that step, does anyone have any suggestions to correct this problem?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

for the no video in TMPGEnc, have you tried raising the directshow file reader?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• heyjude85023
      • Dec 2005

please excuse my ignorance, but while i see a "directshow multimedia file reader" checked on the "vfapi plug-in" tab of tmpgenc, i really don't know if this is what you are referring to.

if it means anything, the movie is "road to perdition".

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by heyjude85023
        please excuse my ignorance, but while i see a "directshow multimedia file reader" checked on the "vfapi plug-in" tab of tmpgenc, i really don't know if this is what you are referring to.

if it means anything, the movie is "road to perdition".

don't matter here what it is you are ripping. Open TMPgenc Plus, the wizard will open. Close it. The first thing you need to do:

Go to the TMPGEnc's Option menu and select Environmental settings. From there, select the
        VFAPI Plug-in tab.

There you see a list of various reader plugins installed for the TMPGEnc. The one that's called DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is the one that we're looking at. As a default, its priority is -1. Select the item and right click on it. Choose Higher priority and repeat this until the "Priority" for this item is higher than any other plugin's priority in the list (usually 2).

also:

the dvd2avi has to be installed right. the first thing you need to do is download dvd2avi, then copy the "DVD2AVI.vfp" file from the dvd2avi folder into the TMPGEnc folder. also, since dvd2avi would be frameserving to TMPGEnc, don't close it...
        Last edited by LT. Columbo; 18 Apr 2006, 06:12 AM.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• heyjude85023
          • Dec 2005

so you think it is because i closed dvd2avi before i started tmpgenc that i have this problem?

the instructions tell me to do this.

Comment

• heyjude85023
            • Dec 2005

the "problem" turned out to be no problem at all. <o></o>
            <o></o>
            the part i left out was:<o></o>
            <o></o>
            "i am working on my home pc from a remote location."<o></o>
            <o></o>
            the remote pc did not have the necessary settings to allow me to see the video playing. i could see it playing while it was encoded, but once encoded i could no longer see it. go figure...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

glad you worked it out heyjude
              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...