X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

How to Extract AC3 Audio Using VirtualDubMod

In this guide I will show you how to extract the audio from your AVI file and save it as a .AC3 file.

You will need <a href="http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=237&ssid=0&did=15" target="_blank">VirtualDubMod</a> for this guide. This method will only produce a true AC3 file if the source audio is actually AC3 audio. If it isn't VirtualDubMod will just demux it with the file extension .AC3 . It would still be a constant bitrate mp3 etc.

<hr>

Go ahead and start up VirtualDubMod and load your AVI file. You would do so by clicking "File", then "Open video file..." (red). [Screen Shot Below]

<hr>

This error message might pop up, if it does click "No" (blue). [Screen Shot Below]

<hr>

After it has loaded, click "Streams" at the top (green) then click "Streams List" (purple). [Screen Shot Below]

<hr>

After that this screen will come up. Here just click the audio stream (red) in the list, then click the "Demux" button (blue). [Screen Shot Below]

Last edited by jmet; 28 Jun 2006, 02:13 PM.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

After clicking the "Demux" button, the "Demux MPA stream" window will come up. Here is where you would need to name the ac3 file VirtualDubMod creates and pick a folder for it to be saved in. When you are naming the file, it is extremely important you type ".AC3" at the end of the file name! (green). [Screen Shot Below]

<hr>

After you click the "Save" button, this screen will come up. Its just a status screen. Nothing to do here but watch it. [Screen Shot Below]

<hr>

Just let it finish and your done. You now have a brand new shiny .AC3 file. [Screen Shot Below]

Last edited by jmet; 28 Jun 2006, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

After getting married not too long ago, it does surprise me that you still have enough time and juice to make a perfect guide like this, jmet. Well, where does the energy come from????

Regards

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Originally Posted by benbryant
        After getting married not too long ago, it does surprise me that you still have enough time and juice to make a perfect guide like this, jmet. Well, where does the energy come from????

Regards
        It comes from admins request.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

jmet, if the original avi did have ac3 audio, the guide will work;

but where mp3 audio is the source, as in the example, vdub just demuxes it with the ac3 extension, it's still vbr mp3. you need to set audio to full processing mode and set compression to do any encoding. for ac3 you'll probably want to use something like behappy, headac3e or ac3machine

"What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

this is true. i do what jmet is outlining all the time, but demux as an .mp3 (if it is in fact from source file) then i use belight/besweet to convert to AC3 or wav depending on what i'm doing.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...