• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • breakaway
    • Sep 2006

Video gets pixelated on resize

Hi,

I just formatted.

No matter what player I use (WMP or VLC), when I play the video, if its set at 100% scaling, it looks alright. But if I resize it any bigger, it gets pixelated. This means I cannot watch full screen video without it being fully pixelated.

Pixelated as in I can actually make out the little squares (its not smooth, like anti-aliased video should be).

I guess it could be a problem with the codec, but I'm not sure. I just formatted. Installed DIVX and XVID codecs.

I have the

DivX 6.2.5 codec (from the DIVX site)

and

XviD-1.1.0-30122005 _Final Release_ from here

This is also happening on my laptop, I don't know what I did to start this %#!@. Never had a problem like this before, even though I've been doing exactly what I did this time. What the hell?

The pixelated video looks liek this:

Any help highly appreciated
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

What was the original resolution? When you blow an image up too much that is exactly what happens. You can't create detail from nothing.

Comment

• Dan
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

I was thinking the same. We don't know what the source quality is. Was it compressed, was it ripped to the hard drive or was it originally in another format?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

welcome to the forum

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=64045 (but you've already seen it i guess)

if like the other fellow you're sure it's not the file, start with installing latest graphics card drivers & directx
        Last edited by anonymez; 6 Sep 2006, 06:28 AM.
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• breakaway
          • Sep 2006

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
          What was the original resolution? When you blow an image up too much that is exactly what happens. You can't create detail from nothing.
          I realise that, but this not true in this case. The problem is intermittent. Even if the video is low quality, when I fullscreen it, It should be antialiased at the edges and smooth, but this however, isn't and I can still make out the individual squares (this is not normal behaviour for me).

It happens with pretty much all video files. mpg, avi, xvid, divx.

Originally Posted by anonymez
          welcome to the forum

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=64045 (but you've already seen it i guess)

if like the other fellow you're sure it's not the file, start with installing latest graphics card drivers & directx
          Thanks

Yeah I've already seen that, that's where I got the image from.

But I just finished formatting, installed all the latest drivers and codecs. Should i delete and start again?

Comment

• breakaway
            • Sep 2006

Anyone?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

try slightly older graphics card drivers
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• burcs
                • Feb 2006

Depending on your xvid build (keopi, nick, klite, etc) you should have some sort of xvid decoder options in the start menu. Try enabling divx 4cc support.

Don't ask me why, but like video tutorials that I've made using xvid, using the xvid 4cc as well, only look good with divx support enabled in the decoder options. Without it they look fuzzy in a couple of areas, but when I enable it sharpens it right up and looks perfect. If it's already enabled try disabling, too, I guess.

May not even be the same problem you're having, just seemed a little familiar so I figure it's worth a shot.

Comment

• jolancer
                  • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by breakaway
                  I realise that, but this not true in this case. The problem is intermittent. Even if the video is low quality, when I fullscreen it, It should be antialiased at the edges and smooth, but this however, isn't and I can still make out the individual squares (this is not normal behaviour for me).

It happens with pretty much all video files. mpg, avi, xvid, divx.
                  i dont know exctly witch prob you have, but here are a few common ones that may be the cause:

) a VMR9 resize rendering problem in some older directx versions(i think)
                  ) a codec problem
                  ) a Vid card driver problem
                  ) switching from a CRT to a cheap LCD
                  ) crapily encoded source being viewd.
                  ---------------------------

) update driectx to the latest from microsoft.com/dirctx , and or switch your default renderer in your vido player to Overlay instead of VMR9
                  ) just use ffdshow and enable it to decode all your vid content."libavcodec"
                  ) Dont use the latest Video drivers if your card is old, use drivers from its own time period.
                  ) If you swtiched from a CRT to a LCD monitor recently, LCDs natually show more pixelsation.

Comment

Working...