Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SigEp02
    • May 2002

Playback in XP is bad

I just formated my XP machine and put Divx Pro 5.01 back on it. Now some of my Divx movies will not play, as where before I formated the box they would. I also have a Win 98 SE with Divx 5.01 and all my movies wil play on that machine. Someone please tell me what am I overlooking. I rip DVD's and create Divx all the time and now I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out !.....
  • Paranoid_X
    • May 2002

Well the prob could be ANYTHING so pls be more specific as to WHAT u have install etc. But in general if u install DVD2CD rip packs etc. BECAREFUL bcos not all the filter/codec is compatible with XP so its best to install individually as u need them unless u installed it b4 and it all worked well plus most pack was made for 98 not XP. It could also be the players. If u use the default XP player i.e. Windows Media player 8 then it should work no prob unless u introduced some codecs/filter that stuff the files up. So dont install everything like 98 but to be selective to make sure its XP compat. I have Divx3a and Divx5.0 and play both no prob except the rendering but not an issue for others.

Comment

• SigEp02
      • May 2002

When I try to play the file I play it with:
      1. Windows Media Player 8. I loaded the files and then nothing happen the program does not lock up it just never starts to play. Before I formatted my box it would work fine.

2. I also tried Divx Player 2.0 Alpha when I play the file there it says "Failed to Open"

As I mentioned before the file is good cause it plays on my Win 98 with the same version codex.

Okay now for the twist... The file plays fine in VirtualDub 1.4.8. So this tells me that the Divx Codex works fine... It just when I play it in Windows Media Player 8 or Divx Alpha Player 2.
      Last edited by SigEp02; 11 May 2002, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• SigEp02
        • May 2002

Okay since I know the file was good, I went back into VirtualDub and made a "direct copy" and now the new file works in any player I put it in..

Comment

• Paranoid_X
          • May 2002

sounds like ur movie has broken index bcos when u remade the movie in direct copy it will also recreate a new index. well glad to c that u had in running.

Comment

• joel73
            • May 2002

I'd get rid of 5.0 codec. I have had nothing but problems with that one on XP. I use 4.12 and everything is fine. I have had that "cannot open file" with the player and it was a problem with some hacked 3.1a codecs in my system32 folder. I deleted them and it found the 4.12 codec again. Hope it helps

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Use another player (such as WMP 6.4 or GDIVX). However, divx 5.xx codec can cause problems with movies encoded with divx 3.11 alpha, and divx 4.xx

Comment

• MrSnail
                • Jun 2002

Isn't there an option to make DivX 5.xx leave 3.11 encoded videos alone?

I run Win98se and have DivX 5 and 3.11 installed at the same time and all works fine.

I always encode in 3.11 although, I need 5 to play other poeple's files.
                If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

I believe, KHP says this can be accomplished (read his posts, search forum), by installing only the player, and not the codec itself, or something like it, in any case, read his post.

Comment

Working...