Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRJohns
    • Mar 2007

Cannot play streaming .mpegs

When I click on an internet link that is an mpg or mpeg video nothing happens. Links that are avi, or wmv are no problem at all. If I right click the mpg link and save the target, the resulting mpg or mpeg file on my computer will play just fine. The only problem is getting the file to play via the internet. All the playbacks are in Windows Media Player.

I am using a Dell dimension 4400 equipped with a Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, running Windows XP SP2 and Windows Media Player 11. This problem showed up about six months ago (Could have been around the time I installed WMP 11, but can't be sure). Because of an unrelated problem I had to re-install windows a couple months ago, but this problem is still unresolved.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JRJohns; 4 Mar 2007, 07:31 AM.
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

JR,

Q1: What version of Internet Explorer are you running?

Q2: Did you change anything else 6 months ago ... like uninstalling some Windows Runtime applications and so forth!?!?!

G!

Comment

• JRJohns
      • Mar 2007

Thanks, gonwk, for the quick response. I am running IE7, but also have Firefox, but the same problem exists when using firefox. I am curious as to why i get a "Quicktime" icon in trying to run an mpg from my website since I never use Quicktime player to view video. I do have a Quicktime icon in my control panel. I clicked the Quicktime icon and then "file types" and under "streaming movies" nothing is checked. Under "Video" the only check is by "Quick time Movie". Under "MPEG-MPEG system,video and Audio files", Checks were next to 3GPP media file, 3GPP2 Media File, MPEG-4 media file, and AMC media file. Under "Miscellaneous file formats", Digital video file is checked. As an experiment, I unchecked MPEG-4 and attemped to play my mpg file from my website. No change. I then unchecked Digital video file and re-tried the file. There was a change: the broken quicktime icon appears almost instantly instead of taking several minutes.
      I am atttaching a list of the programs i installed after my September re-installation. As you can tell, I am no expert.

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Hi JR,

I am NO EXPERT either ... so, I am not straying you in the wrong path ...

However, I have heard from my friends of similar problem with IE7 and WMP10 or 11 ...

Unless somebody specifically has run into this problem themselves ... best I can suggest is google'ing the heck out of the problem ... here are 2 searches I tried ...

Or get your hands on IE6 version and see if that works better with your WMP11 and MPEG streaming.

I hope some of the people who are "Really" good on this site will take an interest in your problem.

Good Luck,
        G!
        Last edited by gonwk; 5 Mar 2007, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• JRJohns
          • Mar 2007

Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. I stumbled onto something that has at least allowed me to play the mpg file in my website, although there seem to be a few other issues unresolved.
          What I did was this: When the broken Quicktime icon appeared , I right clicked on it and a page opened with a "mime" button at the bottom. Clicking on it indicated that quicktime had assumed authority to play ALL streaming mpg file types. I unchecked all, clicked apply and ok.
          After this change, WMP pops up when I click on the file at my website, and then the file plays. I have tried the same with some MPEG files at other sites, but so far i haven't gotten any of them to work. Still looking for a complete solution.

Comment

• JRJohns
            • Mar 2007

The mpg problem is still with me. While I did get the mpg at my website to play once, I'm back in the same position as before.
            Thing is, avi. and wmv's stream just fine, but if i click an mpg file, the Windows Media Player hangs up and grabs 99% of my CPU and will not relinquish it until I end Process, via windows task manager. Thing is driving me nuts.

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Hi JR,

You know from what you describe ... I would want to take a shot in the dark and say ... Try running a "Virus Scan" on your desktop and see if it shows anything ... or a "Trojan Hunter" ...

G!

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

Try registering Gabest's MPEG PS/TS splitter: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=400408
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• JRJohns
                  • Mar 2007

gonwk,
                  I have run several anti virus/trojan programs (I use Norton antivirus as a matter of course) without any identifiations.

Anoymes,

I will try your link..

Comment

Working...