Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeindorff
    • Mar 2007

Need Help playing a .dat file

There's a nice video on the web from one of the contestants to this year's Eurovison Song Contest. The video plays fine inside Internet Explorer when visiting the website that hosts the video. Also, I can locate the video file in my Temporary Internet Files folder, it's a 7 meg .dat file.

Even with my Internet connection closed if I double-click on the .dat file in my Temporary Internet Files folder it launches Window's Media Player and it plays fine.

The problem is, if I copy the .dat file out of my Temporary Internet Folder to save it somewhere else on my hard drive then Windows Media Player won't play it anymore, neither will any other video app I have. I've tried Media Player Classic, PowerDVD, VirtualDubMod, and Nero ShowTime.

The error messages I get are:

Windows Media Player: "WMP cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the player does not support the format you are trying to play."
    Media Player Classic: "Cannot render the file".
    VirtualDubMod: "Cannot determine file type of 'C:\....sylvia_nott13[1].dat'"
    Nero ShowTime: "Cannot play this media file."

Is there any way I can get this file out of my Temporary Internet Files folder and saved in a format I can play later?
  • 2COOL
    Kamen Moderator V3
    • Aug 2003

After copying the file out of Temporary Internet Files folder to another folder, rename file extension from .dat to .mpg.
    2CL C Henshin!
    If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• mrbeindorff
      • Mar 2007

WMP will not play .dat

Just tried copying the file to a new folder and renaming it with a .mpg extension. Still the same "cannot render file" error message from Windows Media Player. Also, tried .wmv .wma and .avi with no luck.

Comment

• olyteddy
        • Nov 2006

Drop the file on GSpot and it will tell you the type regardless of the extension. You could also try VLC to play it, iirc VLC is pretty blind to extensions.

Comment

Working...