Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luineaglarien
    • May 2002

scared to try the codec on XP

XP is pretty and fast, but I don't know if I like it better. I'm having issues watching an AVI file from KAZAA. There's sound and no video. From reading some of the responses to similar problems here, I gathered that I ought to try downloading the 3.11 codec. I've got it downloaded, and I'm ready to install, but I got a message that claims that installing it could permanently damage my system. Normally, I'd just risk it, but this isn't my machine, so I'm nervous. Has anyone else already downloaded this codec to XP? Are there any side-effects?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

go ahead and install divx 3.11

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I have had no problems installing DivX3.11a, 4.12, M$ MPEG4V2 and whatever other codecs that work in Win2K and Win98SE, onto XP systems (Lost my count). The systems performed as normally and as fast as they usually do. However, if the movie you have is fake, nothing you do will make the movie work.

Comment

• fremantle
        • May 2002

If installing the 3.11 version doesn't solve your problem, i had also some problems with XP.
        All my movies were played correctly under 98, when i installed XP, and the same divx codec, some movies didn't appear and some others were reversed ! So I believe this is coming from my video cards drivers, but as my card is a little old now, drivers are not updated anymore, so there was no solution except buying a new video card or reinstalling 98.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

What GPU is that?

Comment

• fremantle
            • May 2002

it is a Matrox G400. I also have some problems sometimes with subtitles that can't be drawn with some movies, i suppose it has to do with some pixel color format that is not working with overlay...

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

I believe there is a patch for that card, though the name escapes my memory. It includes the model number in its name anyway.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

when saying 'reversed' did you mean UPSIDE DOWN?

read this????
                Last edited by UncasMS; 24 May 2002, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• fremantle
                  • May 2002

Yes it was upside down, but i've never installed nimo codecs like in the link you put.
                  Anyway i'm now back to 98 and this problem never happens

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

it is not a matter of the codec pack but a bug in the matrox driver!

Comment

Working...