Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Medic611
    • May 2007

mpg codec & WME / WMM

I am having trouble with both Windows Media Encoder as well as Windows Movie Maker.

I cannot import a mpg file to either program, although mpg files play normally on Windows Media Player 11.

Windows Movie Maker (v2.1): When I attempt to import into collections I get the following message:
    "The file C:\filename.mpg cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

Windows Media Encoder 9: When attempting to import a mpg file for conversion either by using the wizard or making a custom session I get a message that an error has occured and Windows Media Encoder must close. I have tried to uninstall / re-install, without change.

Both issues started around the same time and I cannot find / remember anything new that was installed at that time.

I have run Microsoft Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility and have disabled all codecs that were listed as incompatable, although one of the two I recognize as having been on this PC for quite sometime (prior to issue arising.)

Please help trying to format movies for streaming to an x360.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Welcome to the forum

Windows Movie Maker and Media Encoder are rather picky and unpredictable with decoders/splitters, was only solved with trial & error in my case. Might I suggest WMNicEnc instead, which accepts Avisynth scripts.

You might like to see this and this too.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Medic611
      • May 2007

Thank you for the welcome. I have been searching the web for what seems like forever. I tried using Deskshare's Digital Media Converter and loaded the MPG file, initially it found that the MPG decoder it wanted had been deleted So I re-installed it and restarted my PC, Still does not work. The MPG file loads into the conversion list screen and when I attempt to start conversion it lists the conversion complete and no destination file was created.

Both Windows Media Encoder and Windows Movie Maker had no troubles with mpg files.

All of these problems with mpg's in different programs any ideas?

Comment

Working...