Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • videouser01
    • May 2007

mpeg2 a/v problems

I have a dvd compatible mpeg2 file, but the audio gradualy gets out of synch during playback.

I tried "feeding" the file into ProjectX and re-muxing the resulting audio and video files. Unfortunately, this did not help. Does anybody know how to fix a/v sync in an mpeg2 file?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Welcome to the forum

You could use Avisynth TimeStretch(), I think BeHappy makes this a little easier. Where did you get the file?
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• videouser01
      • May 2007

Thanks for the welcome, and boy am I happy to be greeted by a Linuxer! I use Linux by default, but rebooting my PC into Windows is no problem too.

I made the file myself: recorded a TV programme that I want to keep. I used mencoder to record the file: mpeg2-video and pcm audio. I know: big mistake. The file was in perfect synch. So I tried all sorts of things to turn it into a dvd-compatible mpeg2 file: all of them result in a/v synch loss. I think the file is avi now.... But when I convert it into dvd-mpeg2 the a/v synch is messed up.

Is there a tutorial or some instruction on how to do this with Avisynth or BeHappy?

And is there a utility that can determine for sure if my file can even ever be re-muxed (without re-encoding, which will result in quality loss) into a dvd-mpeg2 file? I am beginning to think there is someting wrong with the file (frame drops during recording) that is the cause of the a/v de-synch when muxing it to mpeg2. Does avi have an elaborate way of determining a/v synch that mpeg2 does not have maybe?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

Documentation on Avisynth TimeStretch(). If you don't have the original capture, I don't know of any simpler fix I'm afraid.

Just FYI, it is always recommended to run any (the original) captured MPEG TS or PS stream through ProjectX first.

And is there a utility that can determine for sure if my file can even ever be re-muxed (without re-encoding, which will result in quality loss) into a dvd-mpeg2 file?
        If the resolution, framerate, etc are compliant you should be able to run it through an authoring app, like Muxman, for example.

Does avi have an elaborate way of determining a/v synch that mpeg2 does not have maybe?
        Quite the opposite, actually.
        Last edited by anonymez; 31 May 2007, 10:56 PM.
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• videouser01
          • May 2007

Thanks for the help. I'll look into it, although I think that the Besweet commnad Timestretch is intended to alter the duration of the audio part. But, the audio and video parts are of the same duration after putting my file through ProjectX (which, strangely, results in a/v de-synch when muxing the two) so I don't exactly know ho to stretch my audio file.

Comment

Working...