X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rien
    New member.
    • Jul 2007

AVI to WMV Conversion

Initially I've converted an AVI file to an WMV file by winavi (frequent spammer of this forum)Convertor. I was interested if an WMV file (a full Microsoft development as I understand) was smaller than an AVI file. Indeed it turned out to be some 40% smaller. I checked if I was able to insert an .srt subtitle file 'hardcoded' into the WMV file, which succeeded with no problems at all. This WMV file could also be converted to DVD files by winavi (frequent spammer of this forum)Convertor and afterwards burned with my DVD writer-software. Furthermore I succeeded to read the seperate .srt subtitle and WMV files by WMP10. So I decided to convert most of my AVI files with the 'batch media file converter' option of winavi (frequent spammer of this forum)Convertor to 'hardcoded' subtitle WMV files. This too worked succesfully. I was very pleased as this would save me a lot of diskspace. So far so good.

However the problem I encounter now is that after this exercise WMP10 is still able to play WMV files with 'hardcoded' subtitles, but doesn't show subtitles anymore when I play it with seperate WMV and .srt subtitle files. The funny thing is that other non-microsoft software like for example "Workshop Subtitle" and Cyberlink's "Power Cinema" software are still able to play it in this way! If I convert the WMV file back to an AVI file by
    winavi (frequent spammer of this forum)Convertor WMP10 can read the separate files again!!

I've the following questions:
    1) This happened after the batch conversion by winavi (frequent spammer of this forum)Convertor. Do you have an
    explanation for this phenomena?
    2) Should I try to download any codecs? But which one? Beacause I don't have the
    faintest idea which codecs are loaded on my PC?
    3) If you're unable to answer my question(s), who should I best contact (besides
    Microsooft, because they never answer a question adequately!!)?
  • leandermx
    Banned
    • Aug 2007

It is so hard to read.

Comment

Working...