Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greg555
    • May 2006

How to convert camcorder tape to DVD

Hi, Im Greg. My brother had a camcorder and he lost it. He has some video on tape that He recorded with the camcorder. I dont know what type of camera it was or how old it was. We would like to convert those tapes to DVD somehow.

They are 8mm Video cassettes. TDK HS30. I assume I would have to record them to HD and then convert, but how could I do this?

Could they be played back on another camcorder and recorded with computer? or what other options would I have if any?

I have alienware area 51 notebook with win xp home. I use DVD lab studio, Video redo, TMPGnc, and AVS Video tools.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Could they be played back on another camcorder and recorded with computer?
    yes u can use other 8mm camera, use firewire/ usb what ever provided with that camera, firewire would be easier and better.
    other option would be to use any external capturing box and use ur camera's svideo or av outs to capture video.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• greg555
      • May 2006

thanks atifish

Thank you, but what about software for recording? Would I have to have the program that came with the camera Im playing back with for recording?
      At this time I have avs video tools, DVD lab studio, TMPGnc, and video redo.

Greg

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

movie maker 2 included in sp2 does a decent job and then dvd flick will convert to burnable dvd files, nero vision also

the main problem is getting the firewire and the cam to work right and learning to only capture at the quality level of your tapes, not much sense in extracting raw avi's when the resolution is so mediocre

Comment

• m2k
          • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
          the main problem is getting the firewire and the cam to work right and learning to only capture at the quality level of your tapes, not much sense in extracting raw avi's when the resolution is so mediocre
          Next week, I plan on converting a dozen or so 10-15-year old VHS-C tapes. I never really thought about capture quality for older tape. What would you recommend? (I capture via Premiere Pro 2.0 and a Matrox RT.X2.)

thanks

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Capture from analog sources to compressed MPEG-2 4:2:2 I-frame
            not sure what all that means but converting to dvd I would go for 3 hrs of video or less per single layer disk

Comment

Working...