X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

I down load the Bourn trailer when it play with VLC it pause and skip but it play fine with MPC ? I also have another question How do I know which resolution I set with my TV screen ? is it the lower number or the higher number right now it set at 1024x768 I can move it higher but with letter seem smaller, in the advange setting it say the highest amtribute is 1920x1080, what do I need to do to find out the best setting ?

Thanks ( I dont mean to high jack but this is good to know )

let say I play the Bourn Trailer 1080, how do I know if it play in 1080 or it is down grade and only show 720
    Last edited by NightTran; 17 Sep 2007, 09:42 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

Night, from what I know (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) you cannot downgrade resolutions (it either will or won't play smoothly or at all)...and you can only upgrade or most call it upconvert from 420i and 420p ....(and 720p I think)....So if you download a trailer in 1080i or p, it will play only in that resolution.

1920 X 1080 is high definition resolution. You need to find out the TV's native resolution and set it according to that. My TV's native resolution is 1360 X 768 and thats what I have my resolution set at.

Edit: I just possibly made a complete idiot out of myself for what I said, guess we will have to wait until admin or chewy read it...lol
      Last edited by jmet; 17 Sep 2007, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

computers are not set up to handle 1080 h264, your great gaming video card wasn't designed for it and passes the work onto your cpu, newer entry level ati cards handle it thru streaming processors(ati/2400/2600) dx10

devices designed around this technology have dedicated chipsets to handle h264 encoding and decoding, one tiny little chipset that does the work

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
          computers are not set up to handle 1080 h264, your great gaming video card wasn't designed for it and passes the work onto your cpu, newer entry level ati cards handle it thru streaming processors(ati/2400/2600) dx10

devices designed around this technology have dedicated chipsets to handle h264 encoding and decoding, one tiny little chipset that does the work
          so when I play the 1080 it is only show in 720 resolution with the card I have now?

Thanks

I guess 1024x768 is my best setting without loosing any screen ( full screen )
          Last edited by NightTran; 17 Sep 2007, 11:15 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

no it's trying to play it at full 1080, and will have a real hard time doing it
            open task manager, go to performance

now open and play a normal avi or mpeg(vob)

now watch what happens when you play a 720

try a 1080

the ati 2400/2600 keep cpu down to 30-40% with HD
            Last edited by Chewy; 17 Sep 2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

when I play with the bourn trailer it play really good with MPC but not VLC
              sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

some files play better with direct show filters, some play better with vlc

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

so is it mean my TV capable of viewing 1080 or just some file does and some file dont, I need to pull out the Pirates trailer because I did have problem when playing it but I dont know If I tried with MPC

I down load the Pirate trailer 1080

Download the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - H.264 HD 1080p Theatrical Trailer, in H.264 HD 1920x796 format

it will skip with VLC but play fine with MPC but I have to adjust the full screen to fit ( I dont know if this is typical for my TV )

I also force in the advange setting trouble shoot to play 1080 to ( I dont know if this is help me play the 1080 file )
                  Last edited by NightTran; 17 Sep 2007, 11:46 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

VLC has it's own built in H.264 decoder, which is not as efficient as the one offered with ffdshow (libavcodec, which it again not as efficient as CoreAVC I think).

Night: What is the native resolution of your TV? You should always try to set the computer resolution to match the native resolution of your TV. Some TVs are 720p, but can accept a 1080i/p signal (which the on-board processor then downscales to the native resolution). If you are playing 1920x1080 (1080p) clip using a lesser resolution, then scaling has already occured on your computer (in other words, to get the best out of 1080p, you need to set the resolution to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, and have a display with native resolution of 1080 lines). Depending on how far you sit and how big your screen is, many people are perfectly happy with 720p, and the difference between 720p and 1080p is not as jaw dropping as you would imagine.

Jmet: I'm sure your DVD player has a setting somewhere to set the output resolution. If you've set it to 720p, then that's the best setting. The DVD may not look as good as the H.264 clips because upscaling is faking the HD picture (zoom + sharpen, for a simple explanation of how upscaling works - the compression artifacts are zoomed and sharpened as well unfortunately - it will look better than the original DVD, but not as good - see this page: http://www.tppblog.com/upscale.html), whereas the H.264 clips are from real HD sources (some of the H.264 clips I made are actually down converted from 1080p clips). To get the best out of HDTV, you need proper HD source (that are given enough bandwidth) - even satellite TV might have limited bandwidth and so artifacts might show up. HD DVD or Blu-ray is your best bet in terms of proper HD content and bitrates that are sensible.

If you want more clips, try this site ... try the WMV-HD clips in particular, they use the same codec (VC-1) as HD DVD:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• NightTran
                      King of Digital Video
                      King of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2005

Thanks Admin. I can even set the screen to 1920x1440 but I have to move the curser around because the screen is alot bigger then my 42".

What is the native resolution of your TV? When I bought it it is 720 I just wonder how it can play 1080.

I am happy with 1024x768 is my setting
                      sigpic

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

If your TV is 720p, then 1280x720, 1280x768, 1360x768 or something along those lines should be the native resolution (assuming it's a widescreen set of course).

Certain 720p sets will accept higher resolutions through the PC input, but it is only capable of displaying 720p and will simply downscale the higher resolution input to the native resolution (which might still make it look better than just feeding it a 720p input, depending on how good your TV scales).

Other 720p sets, while accepting higher than 720p input through the VGA connector, will only accept a maximum of 1080i through the HDMI/DVI/component input.

With true 1080p sets (what they call "Full HD" or "True HD"), the display will natively display 1080 lines. What's funny was that some earlier 1080p sets did not actually accept an 1080p input, only 1080i (the "interlaced" input is then turned into progressive by the internal circuitry - it's not as bad as it sounds, as with film content, the final image will be indentical to the same content being fed through an 1080p input, more info here: http://wiki.digital-digest.com/index.php/1080i/p).
                        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...