Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clinkmann
    • Dec 2007

Colour problem with playback

I have a weird problem when playing video files on my PC. The colour changes to complementary irrespective of the type of file or the program I use.

DV captured video, downloaded avi or mpeg files all show the same problem irrespective of the program I use to view/edit (WinDVD creator, VLC, Windows media player, Creative Media source player, Nero showtime, DiVX player).

Any ideas??
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I had something similar happen except my .avi files would play ok on my PC but when I burned 'em the stand-alone showed them with blue tint. I added SwapUV() to the AviSynth scripts created by my conversion programs and that seemed to fix it. As an experiment you might take a short clip and put it through a script with SwapUV() and look at the output.

Comment

• clinkmann
      • Dec 2007

To be honest I did not understand what I have to do! I have tried applying a correction filter to an avi file with Ulead Video studio and saving the project as mpg but after the process the mpg file showed the same problems (complementary colours).
      Games display OK so its not the graphic card drivers; I've reinstalled the divx and xvid codecs but it didn't correct the issue. I suspect it's a corrupt codec file but don't know which one.
      DVDs playback correctly on the PC!

*EDIT* I played the same avi file with Irfanview and it plays correctly but VLC and Mediaplayer are playing it badly!!
      Last edited by clinkmann; 1 Jan 2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

In that case I'd try a complete remove and reinstall of VLC and see what happens. The "divide and conquer" technique works well in most situations. Even if you don't know the ins and outs of codecs or whatnot the more you can segragate the problem the more likely somebody will recognize a solution. Hardware as opposed to software, which applications/codecs etc.. and just isolate as much as you can and post any info you find.

Comment

• clinkmann
          • Dec 2007

So I updated to Media player 11, uninstalled VLC, Ulead Video Studio and Creative software and reinstalled but the problem remained.

I had given up on this however earlier today my Nvidia 6600GT graphics card just gave up its spirit and I had to remove the card and used the m/b video outlet. Wonder of wonders the video returned to normal! I can't understand what the problem was but I decided to post for anyone who may have a similar problem.

Comment

Working...