X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CGreenInk
    • May 2010

Blackmagic

I hope I am in the right area.
    I want to discuss various formats and quality and playability of various video inputs and issues with Blackmagic video card as a starting point.
    Some helpful hints.
    1) I am capturing from HDMI

Make sure that settings in “Control Panel – Blackmagic are set to HDMI
    2) My first test was a HD Dish TV show of one hour.
    using Blackmagic Media Express V 3.5.2 that came with card ( Very simple interface), however "Edit-Preferences", "video Format" to HD 1080i 59.94 since this is the only one thast works.
    of the two "Compressions Types"
    "Uncompressec 8-bit YUV" yields a file of 107 Gig
    When editing output file with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum the video clip was 50% longer than audio in duration.
    "Compressed Motion JPEG" yields a file of 7.4 Gig
    Whe editing this one the audio was 12% longer.
    My next post if this is OK here will be the results of using Blackmagic Media Express V 2.03 from their WEB site that has more options and some I have found with better Sync.
    I also will discuss Playback on "WD Live TV", various media players and DVD authoring of various renderings of the capture file from "Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum" and "Adobe Premiere Pro CS4"
    Now down to my questions If this save file on my Dish USB Drive is only 2.2 Gig is there any quality gain in the larger "Compressed Motion JPEG"? Also why would one use "Uncompressed 8-bit YUV" to capture what was a compressed file on the Dish Drive?

• CGreenInk
    • May 2010

Second posting
    Still waiting for acoments on " If this save file on my Dish USB Drive is only 2.2 Gig is there any quality gain in the larger "Compressed Motion JPEG"? "

Testing Blackmagic Media Express V 2.03 from their WEB site
    Eleven video formats offered only HD 1080I 59.94 works with Dish saved playback capture.

Capture file format "AVI Motion JPEG" file size 17.7 Gig
    When edited with Sony Platinum video and sound in sync
    Plays with Windows Media Player 11
    Does not play back in WD TV Live HD Media Player ( This is a Play back device that outputs a file from a USB drive to a HD TV with no computer interface)

Capture file format "DPX 10Bit RGB" two minute test
    Created a folder with 2077 dpx files totaling 16 Gig
    Optional viewer djv from sourceforge net
    Alowed viewing

Capture file format "AVI 8-Bit YUV" file size 204 Gig for 1 hr test
    Opens in Platinum Pro Audio file is 105% longer than video

Now that I have a workable format "AVI Motion JPEG" I am going to test next the difference in using a PCI 4x vs a PCI 16x slot Then a VelociRaptor drive

Comment

• CGreenInk
      • May 2010

Results of testing
      There seems to be no difference between using a PCI 4 slot vs PCI16 slot.
      Second test showed better performance on the black magic speed test using the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFSRTL 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive however actual performance made less than a 10% difference so the only capture settings
      Media Express V 2.03 from their WEB site
      Eleven video formats offered only HD 1080I 59.94 works with Dish saved playback capture.

Capture file format "AVI Motion JPEG"
      Not using Anamorphic SD 16x9
      And Use Anamorphic SD 16x9
      Could not see a difference when making a DVD to play on a SD TV
      I did get desired results Not using Anamorphic SD 16x9 and bring the .AVI into Sony Vegad Movie Studio Platinum – Mahe Movie – Burn It toa DVD, Blue=ray Disk or CD – uncheck Use widescreen DVD format – send results to Sony DVD Architect Studio 4.5 – Make DVD – Burn
      File size results Original reported by Dish 2.0GB Blackmagic 18.36GB Sony DVD Architect Studio 2.7GB
      Convert to .m2ts file creates at 16 Mbps 6.8GB same size DVD 2.7 GB
      Convert to .m2ts file creates at 4 Mbps 2.0GB same size DVD 2.7 GB
      So the question again. Does anyone know why a 1 hr HG Dish show is only 2.0 GB less than half a standard DVD high quality video?
      Blackmagic capture file is 18GB converted to a ACVHD 1920x1080 5.1 Surround Sound 16MBPS is 6.8GB and at 4MBPS is 2GB. So is the 4MBPS file the best I can get considering the size of the original Dish File?
      Last does anyone find this thread helpful?

Comment

• CGreenInk
        • May 2010

800+ views and no responce so I will be moving on to another board since this might be the wrong plasce for this thread sorry for being in the wrong place

Comment

Working...