X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chelseagle
    • Aug 2008

Our cameras videos are too big

Hi everyone
    Hope someone can help.The situation is this - we have a digital camera and recorded a few videos but they are really too big.For example, 121mb for a 6 minute video.
    I have virtualdub and tried to use it but it didnt work.The file opens in the machine - video and audio are working when i play the clip in the window.I followed instructions from a web site on how to use virtualdub.But I get a message - video format negotiation failed - use slow repack or full mode.

I read that there is something about the window size of the file and something about dividing the bit rate by 16.I really couldnt understand.Would someone be kind enough to talk an oldie like myself through it.I dont understand alot about computers and im having a hard time making sense of the bits and bobs Ive come across from searching.

The file i have selected is 320x239 data rate 2264 (video) 252 (audio) - its says in file information. Also when i rightclick the file in the folder it says 352 kbps.Its an AVI file.

What have tried when getting this error is this
    video>fast recompress
    then compression and ive selected divx 5.2.0 codec

audio>full processing mode
    then compression and ive selected MPEG layer 3
    theres a further choice to the right ...32kbit 24 kbit 8 kbit etc..i dont know which one to choose so i just tried anything

so theres the problem.Thanks
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

For audio you will be better off using Lame mp3 codec.Download and install this:http://www.free-codecs.com/download/LAME_ACM_Codec.htm.
    Now,under Audio, with 'Full processing mode' enabled ,you will find LAME MP3 listed under Compression.Highlight it and select whatever bitrate seems reasonable.128 kbps is CD quality. I am happy with 192 kbps stereo 48000Hz.
    For Video,don't use Fast Recompress. Select "Full processing mode" .Now , with DivX selected as compressor,specify a bitrate.

BTW, if you find Virtualdub a bit tricky to start with, then use SUPER.
    Last edited by paglamon; 1 Aug 2008, 03:14 PM.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

Working...