X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe113
    Menu hater
    • Feb 2005

starforce 3?

Hi, will this copy protection system affect the backing up of dvd movies?

thanks in advance,

Joe.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

afaik, it only affects computer CD and DVD ROM discs. It is not on DVD film discs.

Comment

• joe113
      Menu hater
      • Feb 2005

thank God for that!

Comment

• Aug 2002

Originally Posted by nwg
        afaik, it only affects computer CD and DVD ROM discs. It is not on DVD film discs.
        I recently installed the game "splinter cell - chaos theory" (version 1.2).
        This game installed "non plug and play" "starforce" drivers (version 1.32).

Until installing this game & its SF drivers, i have not had any problems burning DVD's using Nero 6.6.1.4 or DVDShrink 3.2.0.15, be they data backups or movie backups.

I now have problems as Nero reports "KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR" and "Focus or tracking error" in the failed burn log
        So far i have burned 8 coasters

I also have problems with DVDShrink failing to access the DVD burner and it fails with "Error:\nCannot connect TRF".

When removing the starforce drivers, i am again able to burn DVD data and film backups using Nero, unfortunately i still have problems with DVDShrink.

Even though i have read that people have had problems with Nero 6.6.1.4 and the "Error:\nCannot connect TRF" problem, in my case it has only happened after these starforce drivers were loaded and later removed after producing the 8 coasters.

I have also noticed that with the starforce drivers, my system is much slower.
        Having read that the "Error:\nCannot connect TRF" may be caused by not big enough disk cache and that the "Starforce" cause disk drives to revert to PIO mode, i think there is some correlation between SF and DVDShrink issues.

So if you have burning problems, check if you have starforce drivers loaded by running "Device Manager" and selecting <View><Show hidden devices> then scrolling down the list of non plug and play drivers.

If you do find SF drivers, remove them (search google for 'starforce' & 'remove' to find out how).
        If this still doesnt fix the issue, try also removing your IDE drivers and reboot (this should reset the disk drivers so they are accessed via DMA rather than the slow PIO mode).

I don't know if this issue has been fixed with later versions of SF drivers, or that it is definitly the SF drivers causing the issue, but if you have the later SF drivers and burn problems, try removing them and post your results here

Good luck.

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

The TRF problem affects everyone inlcluding me and I have no games or starforce stuff installed. It onyl affects if the person tries to burn automatically with Nero. I always burn manually so It doesn't affect me and Nero should still burn fine when used on its own.

Comment

• rems
            • Apr 2006

Hi

I used to play cossacks II, not so long ago, and as you may guess, it installed a version of SF without telling me. I went on the web and search for what could be the reason to all the problems, all of a sudden, I had to burn DVDs.
            It appeared that it was SF so I removed the game and SF (which did not remove with the game), still now I can burn DVDs !!!

But it looks like virtually SF must have left something because now my burner (using nero) completes (without errors) burnings but when I try to play the DVD on any DVD player I have available under my hand (computer and TV), the DVD doesn't seem to be readable.
            I think I'll try to reinstall the IDE and DVD/CD-rom Drivers.
            But I would like to know if there is any other way to repair any virtual damage done by SF.
            Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎