• Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Magic, I think.
    LOL

How do I set VLC player to default as the automatic video player when I try to stream online videos/music clips, etc.?

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Like Windows, Ubuntu can run applications based on the file extension. If wer're talking mpg, for example, right-click any mpg file (or any file really, just change the extension), click Properties and then Open With. You can pick VLC from the list or add it as a custom command.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

Update: anony, in the meantime I found this FF plugin that works great!

Now, I seem to have forgotten how I set up Thunderbird mail to "auto-notify" me of new mail.

Do I need to install "mail notification in system tray" from Synaptic? (it is not a Thunderbird add-on)? I don't remember doing that the first time...

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Now, I seem to have forgotten how I set up Thunderbird mail to "auto-notify" me of new mail.
          In Preferences, the "General" tab. Enabled by default I think.

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

It is enabled by default, sounds too, but aren't working for me.
            version 1.5.0.10 (20070403)
            I was trying to update to vers. 2.0, & I have been fighting that for about an hour, I guess. Downloaded T-bird 2.0 to the desktop, trying to do this, as another forum thread suggested:

Open TB tar file and extract the TB folder to file sytem/ opt folder, then on panel add to panel select(on top) custom application.. name - thunderbird, browse to opt folder select thunderbird.. click "no icon" again browse to opt folder.. TB... icons pick tb-icon finish. You should have TB icon on task bar which will start thunderbird.

& then I get this...

You don't have the right permissions to extract archives

What's a newb to do?!?!?!

Chewy is right, I am becoming convinced..... Part of me what's to let this go, but the other part is too stupid to give up! lol

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

To make any changes to root you need to use

Code:
              sudo
              So to you need to uninstall Thunderbird, extract the new version to the desktop via right-click. Run
              Code:
              gksudo nautilus
              and it will give you all the permission you need. Cut and paste the extracted thunderbird folder into /opt. Close nautilus, run

Code:
              sudo ln -s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird
              then

Code:
              sudo ln -s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/thunderbird
              And then create a launcher for it on the desktop or menu, with the command
              Code:
              thunderbird
              The script I linked to in an earlier post does all that for you automatically.

Chewy is right, I am becoming convinced..... Part of me what's to let this go, but the other part is too stupid to give up! lol
              It all comes down to whether you like what you see. FWIW you've been having more problems with Linux than the average Windows user. The best way to "migrate" is to do it slowly, using Windows as your primary OS and Linux here and there, till you get an idea of how things work. Eventually you'll get sick of dual booting and use one over the other.

I myself do not think I can bear to go back to Windows now; don't want to give up the security, stability, speed, UI and various Linux-only applications.
              Last edited by anonymez; 15 May 2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

So to you need to uninstall Thunderbird, extract the new version to the desktop via right-click. Ru
                lose my messages? how 2 back them up?

FWIW you've been having more problems with Linux than the average Windows user
                And then some! - & I can't think that it is all due to PBKAC, lol. I mean, not counting the first install (64 bit, which was buggy?)

I'm just trying to do simple stuff here & the programs are simply not working, or I have to jump thru major hoops to get them working...I don't know...

I was very excited about this from the start, but it is starting to remind me of early windows days (95), when everything you clicked on either wouldn't open, crashed, or some such foolery

I'll probably stick with it, as long as I can get support for it, you been a super help & the ubuntu forums as well, although, admittedly they talk "over my head" alot!

I was hoping soup or BR7 would jump on board to see if they have more success than I do..Again, I hate to think it "is all me"

...but it must be!

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

Your mail/settings are kept in a folder .thunderbird in your home folder, Hit Ctrl+H to see it. I don't think your mail will be deleted during removal, but make a copy of it anyway.

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

Your mail/settings are kept in a folder .thunderbird in your home folder, Hit Ctrl+H to see it. I don't think your mail will be deleted during removal, but make a copy of it anyway.
                    TY, you knew that was next!

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

The script I linked to in an earlier post does all that for you automatically.
                      Sorry! I forgot about the script, & here is a link for it, since it is buried in the thread somewhere! Decided to do it that way...script = easy.

I myself do not think I can bear to go back to Windows now; don't want to give up the security, stability, speed, UI and various Linux-only applications.
                      lol, I know, you are just waiting for the day when ALL windows games will run on it!

As always, thanks for helpin' out!

Comment

• katzdvd
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Feb 2006

Well Wonder Of Wonders!!!!!

I actually got something to work on my own!!!
                        Well, not really, I just snagged some cli & the directions from a website, but after that, I did get it to work without a hitch!!!

Problem: Printer Ink status light came on; but it has 6 carts., so which one to replace?

After some brief searching I found;
                        There is a program "escputil" available to download via Synaptic.
                        It is a Command Line Interface (CLI) program. Run it in a terminal.
                        I used this command to see if the program would work. It timed out so I powered off then on the printer and it worked.
                        ~>sudo escputil -d -r /dev/usblp0

This command generated the ink levels.
                        ~>sudo escputil -i -r /dev/usblp0
                        Ink color Percent remaining
                        Photo Black 57
                        Cyan 40
                        Light Cyan 22
                        Magenta 10
                        Light Magenta 12
                        Yellow 12

~>
                        Check out the man page for all the commands.
                        This is for Epson; I guess I will have to search for other commands for my HP. But, I couldn't believe it, I actually got something to work without major jumps over a dozen hurdles.
                        This calls for a celebration, lol!

BTW, I noticed that the levels on the carts that I replaced were at 10% & 12%; guess that is considered "normal"? Obviously I would like to be able to use every precious drop!

And, I must mention, I did try to use a fancy GUI type pgm. with pretty graphs on it, but I couldn't get that one to do anything...
                        well, at least this one does the job!

Comment

• katzdvd
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Feb 2006

Guess this is what happens when you get too confident!

OK anony, here we go... I attempted to install beryl today, following your directions as before. (Pg.9 #127) Synaptic manager, all went ok...Brought up terminal window, & here the trouble starts.

Type "beryl", hit enter - screen goes completely white. Have to reboot system to get back to desktop, or at least that is the way I am doing it, since I don't know all the commands/keyboard moves yet.

Tried again, same result; I read on the forums that beryl is unstable. Is there a chance it won't be able to run on my pc this time, since I am using the other vers. of ubuntu?
                          Last edited by katzdvd; 17 May 2007, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

FALSE ALARM, AGAIN! (I guess)

Did a bit of searching & thinking trying to remember exactly what I did the first time to make it work; then it hit me; I haven't installed the restricted drivers for the video card yet...could it be that simple?!?!?

Well, in this case, YES! I installed those, ran beryl again, imported your settings, added the necessary entries to sessions, reboot & what do you know, all is happy again

I won't get too confident this time around, but I least I know where terminal, synaptic & sessions are!

It is a slow, uphill road, I am finding out...at least for me...

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

LOL, like Windows, you will be better off installing official binary drivers for good 3D performance.

I think you'll get the hang of this soon enough, you've already jumped (smashed through?) the major hurdles; the majority of which most new users won't encounter till they start tinkering with the OS.

Comment

• katzdvd
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Feb 2006

My accomplishments thus far;

* 2 installs so far, with 5 & 6 partitions.
                                *JavaMP3Gain GUI & command line.
                                *EasyTAG ID3 tag editor
                                *CD Backup/Burn.
                                *Configure VLC as default player/FF streaming vid.
                                *Recovered sys. after removing/damaging critical parts of evo-mail. *This was after an unsuccessful attempt to decrease boot times!
                                *Setup T-Bird mail w/ 4 accts. (2 gmail) need to add more when I get a chance...
                                *Setup 2 printers. Print cards, labels, etc.
                                *Print "Ink Level" Monitor - command line. - Need to install a GUI one...
                                *Change folder permissions.
                                *Install various repository programs
                                *Using Beryl/Emerald (w/ anony's settings at the moment)
                                *Configure startup programs.

Learning my way around various terminal commands, esp. not to log in as root! Had a bit of help along the way, here & on linux forums...

Oh yeah, & maybe my greatest accomplishment; Down to 19 seconds on Tetravex!

I probably should be further along than this, but I have too many "irons in the fire" with other activities at this time...

Some (most) of this may seem very elementary & "no-brainer" stuff to the windows guys, but hey, we're talking linux here, & things don't work in quite the same manner, at least not when you are used to XP!

Thought about giving up on this a few times & going back to windows, but I am still "dancin' with the penguin". Although, I do have XP on my other pc to fall back on, but I rarely use it...

Two things that really keep me here w/ linux;

1. Free! Or, "No Gates & Bills"! A popular sig. I have seen...

2. Security. I don't know the actual number, but there is something like less than 100 known viruses for linux, & malware/spyware also not a big issue. (although I guess it is on the rise, w. linux becoming more popular, according to stories I have read).

As always, Thanks anony!

Comment

Working...