Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

ha! here's mine running cool . cpu easily gets up to 72.

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
    Motherboard Name MSI MS-6712

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)
    CPU 66 °C (151 °F)
    WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 42 °C (108 °F)
    WDC WD400JB-00ETA0 40 °C (104 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 4193 RPM

only on hot days does it cut off my internet. had this problem for a while. i have both sides off and it'll still overheat when i run it hard with both case sides off. only on hot days when the room is muggy and warm does this happen. wish i knew how to fix this sucker from doing this on hot days.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

ls that a socket A?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

say what? lol. my fan looks cheap. not flashy and colorful like that
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• ipaulo
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Apr 2006

@Westly 32 have you consider one of these. There really inexpensive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200033

@Chewy, sorry it's taken so long to respond. I had to figure out how to post screen shots and keep it under the 500kb limit. I just changed desktop screen to a blank picture and minimize DVD Rebuilder. If there's and easier way please let me know. Also I would like to post some pics of my new computer, but there're way past the limit. How does one go about posting pics here? I see many people post their pics here but I just can't figure it out.

Ok here goes I'm going to have to do this using two post.[LIST=1][*]Everest 4.0 does not support my motherboard chipset. Though the temps where very close to the ones from Core Temp's[*]Just after booting up. The other gauge is off the Asus disk. [*]With two encoders running[*]With three encoder running.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Air Flow 44 CFM
            the key factor is cooking your eggs over easy and not breaking the yolk

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

ipaulo,

whenever possible use the report feature if the software has one

to capture and post a screenshot

altprntscrn/paint paste/save as .png/go advanced manage attachments

Comment

• ipaulo
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Apr 2006

1. Full load
                2. I ran Rebuilder in the daytime and the temp hit 60c a couple of times just after encoding started so I aborted. The other pics, Rebuilder was run in the evening when the room temp was probably 5 to 10 degrees cooler.

Core #3 is always hotter than the rest, do you know the reason for this?
                So do you think I should use 60c as a limit? Or maybe should I just run with 3 encoders or even 2, to play it safe? But that kinda of defeats the purpose of it all, better safe than sorry. Thanks Chewy
                Attached Files

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

I would limit dvdrb to 2 cores during hotter times and let it rip when it's cooler

let them rest a little and cool off between jobs

I would ask blu and jdobbs about those temps and dvdrb
                  Last edited by Chewy; 2 Aug 2007, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• soup
                    Just Trying To Help
                    • Nov 2005

While Folding@Home

Everest Temps: Click image for larger version

Name:	EverestTemps.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	913725

siw Temps: Click image for larger version

Name:	siwTemps.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	913726

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

the problem with the quad cores is intel stuck 4 cores in the same space as 2? Even ideling the extra cores give off heat

Comment

• ipaulo
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Apr 2006

Ok, thanks Chewy. When I get a chance I'll post in the DVD Rebuilder section.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

Well this thread has really raised some interesting issues and I am afraid probably caused a lot of confusion to a relative newcomer and even some more experienced users.

For those of you who are running older amd xp cpu's or P4's your cpu temperature range will be higher than the new cpu's like the amd64 or the intel core2duo's.

I am going to use my old amd xp mobile 2600 as an example here
                          it's running at 3200/400 speed

Temperatures:
                          Motherboard 36 °C (97 °F)
                          CPU 42 °C (108 °F)
                          CPU Diode 60 °C (140 °F)
                          this is at idle in a cool room, but these processors were designed to run up to 85C diode temperature

running that hot under continuous load will burn them up

CPU 66 °C (151 °F)
                          LT's reading and his overheating problems indicate his diode temp would be much higher

I am using a 40$ cpu fan to keep mine lower

now here's a big problem, what temp is everest reporting, home reports the lower for my cpu and probably LT's also

ultimate trial and coretemp show me the real
                          temperature

on my amd 64 single core running at 3500+ speeds
                          everest home, ultimate and core temp give me the same reading
                          running dvd flick beta at 100%cpu for an hour my temp is 41C

these cpu's and the amdx2's and core2duo's are all designed to run no higher than 60-65C

I am overclocking this cpu about 33% this time of year but again using a 40$
                          cpu fan

As a safety measure you can take a good 10$ 10 or 12 inch room fan and point into your open case and keep those temps lower
                          Last edited by Chewy; 2 Aug 2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

it's cooled of a tad and sure enough, no overheating probs. i noticed humidity seems to make it even worse. only the dog days of summer this happens. guess i'll leave it for now. i do have a small fan that came from a fridge i can jerry-rig when it gets hot. i'm almost positive if this PC was in an AC'ed room there would never be a problem, but it definitely runs hotter than my other PC.
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• SBN
                              • Jan 2005

Just wanted to add something that I find is way too common, especially with home built or white box computers. This is the placement of fans, and the direction they are facing. Often people think that it is a good idea to have all the fans face inward to blow air. In fact what this is doing is....nothing. If you take the typical location of where a computer resides, under the desk, of course the most common placement is the front will face out. There any fans in the front should be blowing air IN. The fans in the rear therefore should be blowing air OUT. What you are trying to do is create a constant airflow whereby the heat generated from the CPU and hard drives does not stay resident in the case.

This is why the difference between a $30 case and a $100 Antec case can make all the difference. The internal design of the case can greatly affect the airflow and cooling dynamics.One thing that can happen with cheap cases is while cooler air blows on the CPU/Chipset, there is no airflow where the drives reside.

At home I keep a smaller fan placed in front of one computer located in a room that does not get cooled well at all from the AC. Simply by keeping this fan in front of the computer and getting a decent flow of air through I lower the temp by 10 degrees C.

Something else I found that might be helpful. The heatsink/fan I got on one computer has the fan blowing air sideways, where I face it to blow out the back. This has made all the difference for me. Here is Cooler Master similar to what I put in one of my machines that helped immensely

Also, make sure you space your hard drives apart. Most cases allow you to put 3-4 drives minimum virtually right on top of the other. Problem is most after-market desktop cases do not adequately create enough airflow so that the heat rises from one to the next eventually heating up the top drive to unacceptable levels. Ideally in this case a fan should be placed in front of the drives to blow the hot air off towards the rear of the case where the back fans can blow it out. It is also a good idea to move the computer farther away from the way so that the hot air that is exhausted does not just linger and heat up the entire space below the desk.

Comment

• blutach
                                Not a god of digital video
                                • Oct 2004

Damn fine post SBN!

Regards
                                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...