Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I think the cash back offer has ended from Toshiba, so CP might be doing something wrong there. The cash back has been replaced by the price drop (the E1 used to be $599 with a $200 cash back I think, but it's now dropped to $299 with no cash back, just the free movies). It also takes ages for the cash back and free movies to be processed.

The Toshiba plan will be for the XE1 to sell out existing stock, and there will be a couple of months where only the E1 and EP10 are available. Then the 3rd gen players will arrive (similar to the A3/A30/A35 currently on sale in the US), with a high end model that is similar the XE1 with a lower price, except it does not have the Reon HQV video processor.

If you have a good sized DVD collection, 720p or better HDTV with HDMI, and no upscaling DVD player and want to taste true HD content, then I think paying $550 for the XE1 is the way to go. I paid $600 for my last upscaling DVD player about 2 years ago, and I didn't regret that decision even though it's upscaling performance was best described as "functional", to say the least. If true HD content is not tempting, Oppo Digital makes some good upscaling DVD players that gives excellent results, although it's not the greatest build quality. Costs about $300 on eBay or you can buy from their official US website, not sure if there are any local stores that stock this brand.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

HD DVD player sold out at Walmart.com

Discs sales figures apparently shows a small increase for HD DVD, although Blu-ray still shows a healthy lead. Leaked numbers show HD DVD is up 33% from the previous week, while Blu-ray is down 17%, although the ratio is still 74:26. Looks like HD DVD is recovering slightly from the Warner announcement, and the increased hardware sales (standalones and Xbox 360 add-on) shouldn't hurt disc sales figures.

It also looks like the HD DVD people have finally realised that lower disc prices is what drives sales, as currently there is a big (140+ title) 50% off sale for HD DVD titles at Amazon (and another big one at Amazon.co.uk), and nothing of note for Blu-ray. This situation has been the opposite until just recently, when HD DVD sales were rare and often not worth the trouble, and there were un-ending series of Blu-ray sales (mostly BOGOFs).
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎