Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grif_mcrenolds
    • Jan 2002

Stop buying DVDs!

I've got an idea! The prices on CDs and DVDs are soring high right now. It's getting so bad here in Forest Park that we now have to pay $30 for second-rate flicks on DVD. I say that we just stop buying DVDs until prices go down. If you've got an opinion (something about the DMCA or MPAA pissing you off) post it here and be heard!
    Solution for decent, free TV:
    http://www.waycross.org/
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I've always liked the charms of downloading movies or ripping the DVDs anyway. If I were to choose between DVDs and the theatres with my friends, the theatres will definitely get the thumbs up.

DVD prices are, sort of, alright here in Australia, but CDs remain outrageously expensive, and I can count the number of CDs I've bought in the last 2 years with the fingers on one of my hands.

I can say artists need the money from royalties, but I as a consumer ain't so mindless to buy something that expensive. Hey! I'm a student and I live within a budget restriction. Unless I seriously want the song of the artist, I can always make do with MP3s.

Comment

• Simon T
      • Nov 2001

too much euro's

The price of DVD's in Belgium (and I think the rest of EU) is way to high. If you want the blockbusters you won't get away with the DVD if you haven't got more than 25 à 30 € in your pocket.
      Fortunately, there are the 'best price' DVD's of Warner for about 17 €, but that aren't all good movies.
      Still standing... ...also after the forumcrash )

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
        • Nov 2001

i am a musician and a video maker. my vids are short right now..such as music vids..skate and bike vids...i hope to make someday a cool movie and i hope everyone rips it..same with the music we make..i personally would rather hear my music coming out of some strangers car then getting a buck...the videos and music i make will always be free to others..but i am trying to do video transfer and editing for money.the reason i say that about music is because either the musicians are greedy and trying to get rich, or.. they really do believe in the messages they send out in the music.
        john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• Dr Octagon
          • Feb 2002

That's funny because I was thinking of starting this thing too. Glad to see that I am not the only one. Especially for anime DVDs which are around $30 a pop. But then I found www.bestprices.com, and get DVDs I want for $17. That sounds good to me.

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
            • Jan 2002

The anime DVDs here in forest park are high, too. In fact, the prices are so high (like $30) that a friend of mine started ripping and selling them at his school for lower prices. He found one called "Sacora's Diaries" (not sure about spelling) that was really popular here but nobody could afford it. It was dubbed the "unrippable" DVD because it had a new protection system that wouldn't let windows copy it to hard hard drive, unkike other DVDs that do but are CSS encrypted. He proved them wrong. What he did was open each VOB file in notepad, then save the data in the files to the hard drive as text. From there all he had to do was decrypt the CSS with DeCSS. He made a small fortune at the high school by selling DivX copies of it and earned respect from local hackers like myself. This is just another example of a guy getting back at the studios who gouge us at the counter.

LONG LIVE NOTEPAD!
            Solution for decent, free TV:
            http://www.waycross.org/

Comment

Working...