Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonysmith1929
    • Nov 2005

Help.Genius needed please.

I seem to have lost nearly all of PCs sound. Can get sound from built in TV, but not from saved music, DVDs, Skype USB phone set, Windows sounds, although enabled. This is both from twin speakers and USB headphones. PCs tiny speakers sometimes work,just.
    Have tried XPs PC doctor, Everest and control panels 'sound,audio devices. Now getting rather annoyed. Any suggestions will be tried. Thanks.....And all the best for Xmas to all....
  • shrink0
    • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by tonysmith1929
    I seem to have lost nearly all of PCs sound. Can get sound from built in TV, but not from saved music, DVDs, Skype USB phone set, Windows sounds, although enabled. This is both from twin speakers and USB headphones. PCs tiny speakers sometimes work,just.
    Have tried XPs PC doctor, Everest and control panels 'sound,audio devices. Now getting rather annoyed. Any suggestions will be tried. Thanks.....And all the best for Xmas to all....
    Do you have onboard sound or sound card? if onboard try reinstalling mobo drivers, if sound card, remove and reinstall drivers. Try disconnecting skype USB phone ,perhaps it is conflicting with other sound devices.
    Another thing ,and just a thought ,but can you see the sound icon down at the taskbar? sorry I had to ask!!!!
    Last edited by shrink0; 21 Dec 2006, 12:35 PM.
    sigpic
    Google is your friend

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

All I lost were system sounds, so this might not be your fix but you can check it out. I think something was deleted from the registry which shouldn't have been by either CCleaner, Registry Mechanic or System Suite Registry Fixer. I did not have the icon showing in system tray even although it was checked to do so.

Last edited by soup; 21 Dec 2006, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
        • Nov 2005

Genius needed.

Thanks..... The only icon on taskbar is volume control, dont remember ever seeing any other about sound...I have tried system restore back a month, but still no sound. I have used 'cleaners' recently, but dont really know how to check in registry, I'm an old dimbo, not a techy !!!!! Thanks.

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

If you check the link I gave you, you won't need to check the registry, it does it for you.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
            • Nov 2005

Genius needed

Thanks Soup. Have downloaded that and will install and try it.. Sounds usefull, will report progress !!!!

Comment

• tonysmith1929
              • Nov 2005

Genius needed

Thanks Soup...That seems to have fixed it, although not instant or even after a restart, but it works !!!! Thanks a lot, nice Xmas pressie !!

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

Just glad you got it done. As well as system sounds for me, it even fixed a problem with powerpoint that I was having. Don't ask me how because I have no idea, I just checked a bunch of things in that configuration & voila, fixed.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
                  • Nov 2005

Genius needed

Still all well !!! As I loaded the full program is it a good idea to keep or dump it and just hold on the the download bit for future use ????
                  Also,MS update wants to give me IE 7. Have read here somewhere that its not good. Any comments ????

Comment

• soup
                    Just Trying To Help
                    • Nov 2005

I am sorry I never got back to this post. You can uninstall K-Lite Mega Codec Pack & everything will be fine, I checked it out. I then decided to reinstall as it seems to do no harm & have been keeping it updated ever since. In fact there is a new version.

Comment

Working...