• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Saying Farewell To The Penguin... :(

Well, I guess some would say that it was inevitable...
    But it looks like I am going to have to move back to the land of "gates & bills", as a popular sig states on the linux forums... I so much wanted this to work out, I really, really did.

The situation: I have been FIGHTING issue after issue after issue, as many of you know by following the Ubuntu thread. First off, I installed the 64 bit. vers. which is admittedly buggy, so that caused some issues which was compounded by the learning curve involved.

After dealing with that, I decided to have a fresh go at it with the more stable 32 bit. vers. It is more stable, I will give it that. I really didn't have an issue with crashes per se, other than some freezing while on youtube & a couple other minor annoyances which I could live with.

My main problem(s) stem from:

1) Software which requires extra files upon extra files to be downloaded/installed to function properly. (And then still doesn't function properly)
    ---In linuxs' defense, I will say here that I have been trying to get native windows apps. to work under linux using wine, & that can be quirky---

2) A lack of proper instruction/tutorials; or perhaps an "overabundance" of information. There is so much info. on a problem that you search for, it is very easy to get mired down in page after page of solutions that have no end.

3) Audio/Video Editing. I simply can't get anything to work in this regard. Installed programs as the tutorial outlines, configure as outlined, only to have pgm. not work. I can't go into the details, (way too much) they just won't work!

Again, if I do a google or forum search for the problem, endless websites & threads are the result with many others having the same issues...

I really don't "get it" with linux; I used to watch Call 4 Help/Screensavers years ago when they talked about this OS, & there were some issues back then, but I was certain that they would have been corrected by now.

My latest setback is - while I have been trying to get audio editing programs to work, my sound card/driver? is now "broken" & everything is distorted. I don't know how to fix it or "roll back" the driver in linux, & apparently no one else does either, since a couple forum posts have resulted in nothing...

I can say I "gave it the old college try", but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I was trying to think of an analogy that would explain it clearer for the "non-linux" folks, & I came up with something that some may be able to relate to;

It's kind of like this:

You know, back in high school when you were at the dance; you finally muster up enough courage to ask the head cheerleader for a slow dance, & much to your surprise, she says "Yes"! But, as the song is 1/2 way thru, reality sets in & you know as wonderful as it feels right at that moment, brother, it's not gonna last...

So, after the song, you politely say "thank you", bow out & scurry back to the corner where all the other nerds are hanging out; and what did you accomplish really? Nothing, except some bragging rights among the other nerds!

Well, my time for that is over. I danced with the penguin, tux is a beautiful creature (I really hate having to change all my avatars) but now the song is over...

At this point, I just don't really have the time to spare to get into this as deeply as is required, to do all the research necessary to work thru all the issues. I mean, it has taken me 10+ years to get where I am with windows today, & I don't know if I want to go thru all that again!

Also, I would like to point out that many of my issues are most likely stemming from PBKAC (google is your friend)

Now, don't get me wrong - I am not completely "dissing" this OS!

Here is what I like:

1) File system separate from applications - locked down w/password(s)

2) Secure - No firewall or antivirus/spyware program needed.

3) Seems to use less resources - applications open faster, less overhead.

4) All the FREE programs! The windows software alternatives are very nice. I liked openoffice word processer, free alternative to MS Word.

5) Tons & tons of free games.

6) Beryl - I will miss this one a lot. It is considered "eye-candy" by many, & it is that, but is also a very useful tool for fast navigation.
    I know there is windows equivalents, but I don't believe they are the same.

--- The CLI (command line) doesn't really bother me; I know some are put-off by it, but there is a lot of information available for it, & it is not too hard to use it. ---

In retrospect, I believe I will keep ubuntu around on a partition that I can boot into when needed, maybe to poke around with it in my free time, although I hate the prospect of dual boots.

Anony - I appreciate all the time you took to school me in this - I have learned a lot, well most of what I know about this OS from your instruction. I hope you don't take it personally that I am (kinda) moving back to windows...

My "Hats Off" to the few members that are able to make this work -

anonymez -
    UncasMS -
    O-pus -

And any others I may have missed!

Chewy - my friend...you knew all along ...must be some sort of wookie intuition (The force is strong)

I come crawling back with my plate for that slice of "humble pie" that I must now eat!

Also, to my fellow forum members that are/were considering trying this out. Please, don't let my bad experiences be a stumbling block to you. You may have a 100% success rate with it, you never know until you try.

Again, I am not totally dumping the OS; I will keep it around, but unfortunately it will not be my "main" work system...

Your thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by katzdvd; 7 Jun 2007, 09:21 AM.
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

I don't know katzdvd, I think somehow, some way down the road you will do it. From what I have read in this thread, even although you say you are going to let it go for now, I personally think that you won't let it go at all. It bugs you that you can't get it done & again from what I have read in this thread, it's going to keep bugging you, so I fully expect to read down the road that you have got it done. That is just my 2 cents. I enjoyed following this thread & thank you for starting it, it was interesting.

Edit: of course I meant the other thread.

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

It bugs you that you can't get it done & again from what I have read in this thread, it's going to keep bugging you
      OH....you don't know the half of it! It is buggin' the livin' #### (I don't swear, so I can't say that word!) out of me, & as I said, tux is cute, & I will always have a space reserved in my heart for him.

I am just not going to devote every waking moment to it right now, as I have for the past couple of months.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

well after 280 posts, I will admit you showed much more FORTITUDE than I am capable of, anony will be disappointed but we all can't be prodigy's like him.

maybe we can all just limp along with xp for another couple of years until
        we are ready to "TRANSCEND"

May the Borg be with you and the Leopard Seal protect you!

Last edited by Chewy; 6 Jun 2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

My only fear is "how long" will we be able to use xp? I don't want to have to make the switch to Vista...that's where I was hoping linux would fill the gap for me...

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

You held in there as long as you could katz, considering all the problems you were having, that is commendable. Perhaps you "jumped" in too quickly. When you start with a new OS it's always better to take it one step at a time, especially when your previous OS functioned so differently. Ubuntu, while being one of the easier distributions, can at least initially be just as difficult as the others for people who like to experiment and know how the OS works. For a "grandma", so long as the hardware is compatible (the list is getting longer all the time), it is arguably easier to use, and certainly easier on the back account, than XP or Vista.

I for one kept various distributions on my PC for a few months and occasionally used them, in particular Ubuntu, for browsing the web. Over time I did some reading up, installed Beryl, set up IM/Email, codecs, iPod, etc and became a little more familiar with the inner workings of the OS. Eventually I could do anything better or equal in Linux than I could in XP, and made the switch. I can't see myself ever using Windows as my main OS again, but to each his own, right tool for the job, and all that jazz.

I don't know where most of the issues come from katz, but I don't think it's (entirely ) a PBCAK. I think every program I have ever downloaded via Synaptic has worked as it is supposed to, I consider myself lucky there. The biggest problem I've had to date was the (IMO) ugly default font, which took me something like a week (!) to fix. Much easier to do so in Edgy and Feisty. The least you could do is check back in October for Gutsy. While Feisty is a very stable version, each major release comes with major UI & software/library updates and fixes.
            Last edited by anonymez; 6 Jun 2007, 02:27 PM.
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

I think every program I have ever downloaded via Synaptic has worked as it is supposed to, I consider myself lucky there.
              Most have worked for me; some have not; for example, non of the audio/video pgms. that I have been trying to use have worked; well, one does under wine, but since the editing is a multi-step process, it really doesn't do me a whole lot of good, because I am unable to complete the process.

It *seems* as if my audio card/driver is okay now. I had rebooted yesterday & it was still broke, but I later turned the pc off overnight & now it appears to be okay this morning. I am afraid to attempt to try using audacity/goldwave/GNUSound/other because that is when I have to fiddle with the sound card settings & things go horribly awry from there!

I will most likely do as you said; I will keep it around & slowly assimilate over time; I tried to do as Chewy referenced; the "Borg" thing, which is a forced assimilation overnight & we all see where that got me. I am surely wondering how in the world Dell is gonna pull this off with their venture of releasing pc's w/ ubuntu installed. I can see many a call to tech support!

BTW - do you personally normally install via. Synaptic or do you use the terminal to get latest pgm. releases?

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

I am surely wondering how in the world Dell is gonna pull this off with their venture of releasing pc's w/ ubuntu installed
                Carefully selected hardware and providing training to tech support folks I guess.

BTW - do you personally normally install via. Synaptic or do you use the terminal to get latest pgm. releases?
                They are more or less the same. Most packages in Synaptic are only updated every 6 months (backports and updates, more often). If an application has been updated since, you'll either have to compile your own or get a pre-compiled deb package, usually available from the the application's home page or 3rd party sites/repositories like http://www.getdeb.net

Comment

• locoeng
                  Who Farted?
                  • Dec 2005

I'm sure my knowledge of XP pales in comparison to yours katz, but I am still going to give Linux a shot when the time is right. I also agree with soup that you aren't done with this yet...I think you will give it a try again in the future.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                  Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

I think you will give it a try again in the future.
                    he hasn't changed the avitar yet?

Comment

• locoeng
                      Who Farted?
                      • Dec 2005

He's not using the OS anymore...didn't say anything about not using the avatar.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                      Walt Kelly

Comment

• Jim44
                        • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                        My only fear is "how long" will we be able to use xp? I don't want to have to make the switch to Vista...that's where I was hoping linux would fill the gap for me...
                        One of my reasons for wanting to check out Ubuntu/Linux was the same. I'm not discouraged, but at the rate I'm getting other things wrapped up, the *next* release may be out (Oct, huh? It may be close.)

And, FWIW, I'm already using OpenOffice in XP. Struggled a bit getting some specific label templates to work/print correctly, but it's worked out well for me, so I'll keep that experience in mind as I check out Linux.

Jim

Comment

• anonymez
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

but at the rate I'm getting other things wrapped up, the *next* release may be out (Oct, huh? It may be close.)
                          New release every 6 months. You can check out the major planned features and their progress here. And the release schedule here. The first alpha will be released today, infact.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                            After messing around with it on and off for a few years I decided it was
                            too much work. Several things mitigate against it. For one, if you are
                            under pressure or desire to get a particular thing to work in a hurry,
                            it doesn't want to cooperate. The new distros are a lot better so
                            instead of going nuts for 2 weeks to get an application installed and
                            working it's only a few days. But, it's still annoying. The other thing
                            is, you end up messing with scripts at some point to solve issues on
                            the system. Okay, so you get good at it after a while. Then if you
                            stop using Linux for 6 months and get the whim to try a new distro,
                            you forget 90% of all that stuff you learned and make the same
                            mistakes again!!! If you're going to do Linux or Unix it's best to
                            1) stay with it and 2) do it because you have no choice so you
                            will stay with it and get good at it and read books about
                            configuring it and programming it and ... yada yada..

It's not push button and play like Windows/Dos. It's a real
                            multi-user multi-tasking OS. You're doing the work
                            of a System Administrator without pay if you dabble.

It's better to be a real paid Sysadmin if you're going to rip your
                            hair out.

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

I disagree entirely. But feel free to voice your opinion.

Comment

Working...