X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Upconverting Dvd Players?

do they really make a noticable difference?

hdmi output? how good does the hd tv have to be? to see the difference?
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

No direct personal experience, but a friend has told me this, and he is a realible friend.

For best picture from an upscale DVD player, run output HDMI from the player to input HDMI on the HD-TV.

Get the next generation HD-TV than can handle 1080p

We are both looking at a Sharp LC-42D62U LCD HD-TV. It's worth mentioning that the Sharp also accepted 1080p sources via component-video, a feat no every 1080p HDTV can match. (42 in on sale at circuit city for $1599. this week only.)

And yes, you can see a difference from SD mpeg2 video to upscale viewing on the HDTV.
    Last edited by ed klein; 2 Jul 2007, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Doesn't answer your question, but I'd be happy if a standalone could do at least half as well as a properly configured ffdshow.
      Last edited by anonymez; 3 Jul 2007, 10:12 PM.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Depends on the TV. What is it's native resolution? How large is it? If the TV is native SD, then (assuming it accepts HD inputs), then you won't see any improvement. If it's HD (720p, 1080i/p), and quite large (say 42" or above), then it should help.

Note that some high end TVs already have great built-in scalers, that are already converting the low res DVD to the native res, and with suitable post-processing to enhance the picture. But in most cases, the DVD player will win because it will have a dedicated upscaling chip that is designed for upscaling DVD content, with post-processing techniques to enhance the picture.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• NightTran
          Emperor of Digital Video
          Emperor of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

this is somewhat relate but can a player ( like VLC or MPC) can upconvert the file? If yes then How?

Thanks

PS sorry Chewy if you think I am HJ this topic
          sigpic

Comment

Working...