X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray free disc promo ends amid lead over HD DVD

An offer for five free Blu-ray disc titles with the purchase of an eligible Blu-ray disc player expired on Thurs. as the format gains market share at retail.

So will there be a new deal, or will the BDA end the free movie deals and BOGOFs now that they think they are on their way to victory? I hope not.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

I think there still will be some BOGOs,but I don't think they will be as common as they were.I think there is a slight chance they will offer another free movie deal with a purchase of a BR player to entice the out of school kids this summer. I am also thinking they might do a price drop to keep the heat on the HD-DVD camp
    Last edited by BR7; 3 Feb 2008, 01:06 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Regardless of who wins, I think the best way to increase HDM adoption would be some kind of transition period where all releases carry both the DVD and HD versions of the movies, through triple layer combo HD DVD, or the slightly bulkier multi-disc approach for Blu-ray. Instead of BOGOFs, simply release these titles at the normal new release DVD price, and once people have HD versions of films at home, they will want to get a HD player to go along with it just to satisfy their curiosity (it's human nature). It costs the studios the same amount of money as BOGOFs, but instead of pandering to early adopters, this can help achieve mass acceptance.

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

Sorry to go a bit off topic,but you said multi disc and it reminded of this and wanted your opinion.I was reading a thread in another forum about series discs.The idea was that being both HD formats can achieve multi layers,why don't they put out a 4 layer disc that will hold a full season on 1 disc.The majority of the replies said that companies wouldn't do it because the consumer wouldn't see value in a single disc like they would a multi disc set .I actually thought it was a good idea and a great way to save some space.On the other hand I see their point on the value argument.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Yes, I've often thought about that too. Or even putting SD content onto a high def disc - you can easily fit a whole TV season into a BD-50. But the "consumers wouldn't see value" bit might be true (a 5 disc DVD set does seem to be more value than a single HD disc, if both are at the same price). Also, a single disc is easily lost or damaged (especially so since you have to access the disc many times to watch the entire season).

Comment

Working...