• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Laptop ExpressCard 34mm vs 54mm?

Hi folks,

What do you hate the most ... when you search & search a topic and none of the results will give you a "Straight" darn answer ... so what do I do ... I run to one place that I know I will get a straight answer and not with a whole lot of mumbo jumbo ...

Q: If I am planning to buy a Notebook ... which card slot is better and would be more Versatile, Faster Throughput, etc. ... ExpressCard 34mm or 54mm slot?

Thanks,

G!
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

gonwk,

I would go the the 54mm, because the 34mm is backwards compatible.

Module Form Factors

There are two standard formats of ExpressCard modules: the ExpressCard/34 module (34mm x 75mm) and the ExpressCard/54 module (54mm x 75mm). Both formats are 5mm thick, the same as the Type II PC Card. The standard module length is 75mm, which is 10.6mm shorter than a standard PC Card. Both module formats use the same connector interface.

ExpressCard Interface

The ExpressCard technology improves the data transfer speed by using higher performance serial data interfaces rather than parallel buses. ExpressCard-compliant host platforms must support both the PCI Express and USB interfaces. This includes a single PCI Express lane (x1) operating at the baseline 2.5Gbps data rate, in each direction, as defined in the PCI Express Base Specification 1.0a by the PCI-SIG. The host interface must also support the low-, full- and high-speed USB data rates as defined by the USB 2.0 Specification of the USB Implementers Forum. An ExpressCard module may use one or both of the standard interfaces depending on the application requirements.

Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi doctorhardware,

Damn .. I never saw this page before ... THANKS a bunch! I got my answer.

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

My pleasure Gonwk.

I have had this for awhile, it came from a white paper on the new expresscard format. I don't know if this paper was ever released. I knew that would help you make your decision.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...